Monday, January 7, 2019

Since My Life Was Boring

Since My Life Was Boring
© Surazeus
2019 01 06

Lost in fantasies of movies and shows,
I relax on my couch all day and watch
stories of people who lived long ago
struggling to survive against hostile odds.

For forty years I worked constructing homes,
threading electric wires into wood frames
to weave nervous systems that give them life
in flowing power that lights up every room.

I worked all day, weaving wires into homes,
then hung out at bars after work to drink
beer with my friends and watch our favorite teams
compete with other teams to score the goal.

I took my wife on dates to restaurants
where we ate roasted steak and drank sweet wine,
and every summer took my family south
to spend vacation by the sparkling sea.

My wife died of cancer two years ago
and our four children now own their own homes
where they raise their children like I raised them,
so what should I do in my loneliness?

I watch powerful people outwit each other
in endless game of thrones to wear the crown
of gold that gleams with gems fallen from stars,
people who fall from arrogance of pride.

Pride comes before the fall, I heard it said,
but I avoided that destructive game
and spent my years weaving wires with my hands
to give electric souls to human homes.

I taught my children to work with their hands,
to employ the craft of creating things
from raw materials of the generous world
so they can earn their bread with honesty.

I despise the arrogant greedy man
who hired craftsmen to help build his hotels
but then refused to pay them full amount,
reneging on the contracts that he signed.

Why do grifters become the billionaires
who escape justice based on mafia ties
while common working craftsmen go bankrupt
when he refuses to pay for their work?

What am I learning from movies I watch
except that rich men will contest for power
to control the lives of laboring men
and profit from work of our crafty hands.

Yet I cheer on every protagonist
who journeys on quest of the cultural hero
to battle and defeat tyrants of greed
and enforce laws that protect common folk.

Since I worked hard now for so many years,
I claim as reward the right to sit warm
on my couch as wind roars like ocean waves
and watch movies about victorious men.

Lost in fantasies of movies and shows,
I play the role of all those noble heroes
to experience lives of thousands of ghosts
since my life was boring, wiring your homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment