Friday, January 25, 2019

Daughter Of Victoria

Daughter Of Victoria
© Surazeus
2019 01 25

The morning of the disaster, before
the blazing meteor appeared in the heavens,
we gathered at the water well to talk
about strange omens we saw in the night,
the white horse shining white as the full moon
galloping along the river, the black tree
blooming rotten apples full of green worms,
and the demon baby born with two heads.

The horsemen galloped from the swirling mist
and set our wooden cottages on fire
so we fled terrified into dark woods
to hide in caves where our grandmothers lived,
hoping they would not find us in the shadows
of despair, then we gazed at shining stars
to calculate the fortune of our fate,
wishing we could vanish in the dawn light.

So we walked seven days along the river
and arrived in London with bleeding feet,
and that is how I came to be employed
baking bread at the factory for the stores
where rich people shop in their fine silk clothes,
and the boy who delivers fresh-baked loaves
fancies the way my eyes sparkle, he says,
and wants to step out with me on Sundays.

I live in the dorm with seventeen girls
so I hope John asks me to marry him,
then we will live in our own private room
where I can cook stew of rabbits and herbs
while he delivers bread to distant shops,
and his first son is baking in my oven
since he kissed me under the apple trees
like Adam and Eve kissing in the garden.

I want to return to our village farm
but the duke what claimed he owned all the land
fenced in the fields where I was born and raised
so now we are stuck in the London maze,
but, since I have not seen John several weeks
since I told him I am bearing his baby,
you can take me from behind for one pound,
so lift up my skirt and be quick about it.

What a cute lad you are, with your black suit,
and your little goatee tickling my neck,
so I think I saw you working as a clerk
at that fancy department store where ladies
buy silk gowns and hats with lace ornaments,
so if you bring me one of those red gowns
you can do it with me ten times for free,
now kiss me and let me get back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment