Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Escape From The Monastery

Escape From The Monastery
© Surazeus
2019 01 22

Straight past the edge of infinite abyss
I fly on quest to find the holy grail
that shimmers somewhere in my naked heart,
waiting to be reborn from silver rain
that splatters endlessly on flashing path
where I go walking every afternoon.

Somewhere beyond tall monastery walls
the girl who grabbed my hand with aching eyes
still walks down to the river every dawn
to call my name in silent swirling mist
but I am trapped by service to the God
who demands I copy old books of tales.

Each curve of letters on smooth parchment page
that I inscribe with feather quill in ink
reflects soft shape of breasts and hips she sways
in vision beaming from my longing eyes
to leap over high wall of silent rules
and run into warm embrace of her arms.

I climb the ancient tangled tree to reach
trembling hand just far enough to grasp tight
jagged wall of the monastery prison,
then fall heart pounding against the stone wall
and dangle helpless over vast abyss
of longing to kiss her apple-red lips.

Pulling my heavy body to the top
of the jagged wall, I perch on high edge
of terror to escape back-aching duty,
then leap into shadows to roll on grass,
and lie gasping under the empty sky
as my hands bleed tears from my wounded heart.

Running through orchard of old apple trees,
I stagger into grove where my love lives,
and find her suckling baby at her breast
as her husband stalks toward me with sharp hoe,
and she kisses my mouth as the sharp arrow
from monastery guard pierces my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment