Wednesday, January 9, 2019

Learning Her Garden Art

Learning Her Garden Art
© Surazeus
2019 01 09

I dig my fingers in soft humid soil,
and gaze closely at small dark grains of dirt
that flash gold in sunlight through swirling clouds,
amazed that seeds from vegetables and fruits
sprout and grow in gloominess of its moisture,
transforming dirt into rinds of good food.

I stand and gaze far across luscious meadows
where curvaceous mounds of nutritive dirt
teem with vegetation of herbs and trees
that flourish in warming rays of sunlight
which slant sideways through moisture-sparkling clouds
to hum with melodies of aching love.

Looking down at the seven apple trees,
which I hauled in wagon from distant hills,
I consider where in my lake-side garden
I want to plant them so they flourish well,
and produce apples swelling from cold rain
that we can eat without traveling far.

Sudden gust of wind from broad rippling lake
rustles leaves of trees that shimmer and swell,
and for one moment of strange fantasy
I almost imagine they speak to me
with voice of my mother who sang sweet tunes
when I was young, learning her garden art.

No comments:

Post a Comment