Tuesday, August 21, 2018

Strange Masks On Church Wall

Strange Masks On Church Wall
© Surazeus
2018 08 21

The faces of every person I knew
on my endless journey through maze of doors
pixelate into strange masks on church wall
who talk to me in endless stream of words
which swirl together in the silent mist
shrouding the lake where I drift in my boat.

They compete with each other to attain
fame and glory through their valorous deeds
encouraged by the man on the gold throne
who rewards those who perform noble deeds
with gold coins stamped with profile of his face
to increase the grand success of our tribe.

We conquer and subdue surrounding tribes,
then assimilate them into our way,
so we transform into empire of power
watched over by the wizard in the tower
who wants to teach me all his arcane ways,
but I told father I want to build boats.

I sail down the river to distant lands
and visit cities all along the coast,
every town ruled by the man with the crown,
who waves his scepter of authority
and demands obedience or metes out death,
so I sail on because I serve no man.

I marry daughter of the fisherman
who dances singing in the grove of trees
and gives me apples with her generous hand
so we make love among the blooming flowers
then she roasts fresh fish I catch in the river
while I teach our cute daughter how to walk.

I think about that ancient simple time
when man could spend his days on river boat
catching fish and singing to swirling clouds
while I sit on the bench before the bank,
watching people perform their daily rituals
to preserve constant flow of energy.

The motor car replaced the river boat,
I ponder as I watch them flowing by,
metal roofs flashing in indifferent sun,
then I feel strange impulse to stand and sing
but I stare at faces behind windshields,
wondering about their names and secret hopes.

Grasping faces of people I once knew,
I assemble them into collage mask
to average characters of human souls
in universal spirit I call me
which cycles their energy through my blood
when I become monster of Frankenstein.

People grumble annoyed when I explore
maze of cultural assumptions and beliefs,
knocking their sacred doctrines off the wall,
because I refuse to play the messiah
they have been waiting for two thousand years
while proving their God is statue of gold.

As I wander away into the Waste Land
to build my own paradise by the lake,
someone makes new statue of gold that shows
me wrecking their whole system of beliefs,
so in cave of shadows I write new book
they can follow the next two thousand years.

No comments:

Post a Comment