Friday, August 3, 2018

Scathing Satire On American Imperialism

Scathing Satire On American Imperialism
© Surazeus
2018 08 03

The howling turtle of the desert land
returns from naked wilderness of fear,
hands full of all the nightmares we escaped,
to stand on waste land of the White House Lawn
and prophesy the fall of our vast empire
so we throw dollar bills in his fedora.

I like the way grass sprouts up from the soil
to convert memories leaking from our brains
into brass statues of our noble heroes
riding on horses with swords raised to fight
against freedom of individual man
who dares to vote for common liberty.

I calculate in twisted lines of verse
concepts left hanging without normal words
between the songs arrogant prophets shout
when they gather in the bookstore to preach
fall of the tyrant who whines like spoiled child
so people see true nature of his face.

The girl in long dress with basket of eggs
walks over the stone bridge where three trolls live
but when they try to drag her in their cave
she twirls the magic wand Merlin gave her
and beats them all till they run to the desert,
then she appears on Broadway at midnight.

When Ophelia rides the tall white giraffe
on Madison Avenue during lunch hour
she gives magic ring to each little girl
who gives her serpent they caught by the river
so my bride enchants my mind with her jewel
which reveals how our universe began.

We gather on wood ships we built from bones
of ancient dragons, defeated by Michael,
son of Jesus, and sail around the world
to conquer every paradise with guns,
and build world empire of commercial farms
that enslave Adam and Even with gold chains.

Since our fathers set forth to conquer Earth,
and reign under sway of the jeweled scepter,
Zambor molded from spine of Father Jesus,
we built world empire on huge factories
to mass produce cars, computers, and phones
that connect our brains in the World Wide Web.

Why do all those people with darker skin
rise up in rebellion against our rule
and push our statues off high pedestals
to decry how we enslaved them to get rich
since Jesus taught us how to rule the world
by offering wealth to all those who work hard?

When I find Virgil with Dante and Chaucer
strumming harps and chanting narrative tales
in Garden of Eden before the Fall
I approach them with laughing skull of Hamlet
but they all flee into the wilderness
where we lead lost souls to America.

I kneel in bright sun by Castalian Spring
and drink sweet water of the Flying Horse
that sparks my mind awake with songs of truth,
so I walk down from high mountain of visions
and chant ancient spells on the city streets
to people who drop coins as they walk by.

The eagle of America descends,
talons of greed unleashed to tear my heart,
so I transform into the robot clown
twanging guitar on huge stadium stage
to sing rock and roll before cheering fans
who howl forever in weird cave of shadows.

The mirror of the sky reflects my face
so when I pray to God I think is real
I talk to myself in the divine light
that combines all faces of my ancestors
in one image of the God I invent
so I can guide myself on road of life.

In Taj Mahal where the wind has no voice
Jesus and Krishna play chess to control
kingdoms of the world where children play games
of oppressor and oppressed in the temple
built by millions of slaves who have no names
yet still believe they can live with free choice.

When I enter glass cathedral at dawn
to crown myself first emperor of Earth
three men, who are prophets of lost kingdoms,
Messiah, Mahdi, and Maitreya, leap
from shadow to assassinate my soul
because I replace them in game of power.

Though you insult me with rebellious verve,
and challenge my basic right to exist,
I laugh at you, then go swim in the lake
of primal dreams to remember First Flash,
because my white male privilege gives me strength
to ignore all your threats to my existence.

Though my ancestors ruled the world from castles
of impregnable power over vast lands
I just want to create things with my hands
and live with you as equals in this world
for we survived hostile environments
and live together on this spinning globe.

When I see the luminous light of truth
beaming from great statue of my ancestor
I stumble blinded by his lust for power
and seek to overcome his greed for wealth
that urges me to conserve my power base,
and instead change whole societal structure.

Because I see how my white privilege
gives me power to achieve what I desire
at the expense of skilled people like me
I retreat into shadow of the Dream Cave
where Plato and Jesus talk about why
people struggle to live free of power.

I try on the costumes of every nation
that existed in history of the world
to understand how they chose to perform
roles of action that produce food and goods
feeding engine of commerce for more wealth,
then photograph blank walls of ruined temples.

I write these life solutions in new book
of ancient testimony to describe
monster of our hearts that rises from waves
of restless seas to devour arrogant kings,
yet ghosts of people I loved crowd my home
and whisper memories we all long forgot.

Through mist shimmering over plain of lost souls
we gather in huge ring of standing stones
to wear white robes that equalize us all,
royals and peasants as one family,
and chant hymns to praise First Mother of Stars
when she puts ripe apple in every hand.

We are the chosen ones who rule the world,
measuring fertile lands with our grasping hands,
we chant in holy hymns to normalize
our aggressive attacks on foreign nations
to assimilate the world with our words
that describe God as white male who rules Earth.

How much have we evolved from ocean slime,
crawling up rivers as we transform shapes,
sperm to fish to lizard to mouse to monkey
to ape to man to angel who aspires
to become supernatural God of power
soaring among clouds in the swift jetplane?

The Sons of Jesus as our Presidents
try to rule the world with nuclear missiles
while everyone in the world walks around
with smart phones that connect all human brains
in world wide web of universal mind
so we tell each other jokes and drink wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment