Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Woman Who Escaped

Woman Who Escaped
© Surazeus
2018 11 14

The lamp on the table reveals strange fear
sulking in shadow that hides happiness.
They never look at each other, the two strangers
who conceal their names with silence of leaves.
Water in the cup vibrates to unknown,
deep as evanescent faith not expressed.
Nothing grows from rocky soil of despair
through grim determination to survive.

We must bear the process of wrenching change
that transforms cherished illusions to lies.
She wonders why he treats her with contempt
after he worshipped her as queen of love.
I am plain human between both extremes,
aching to escape and follow my dreams.
She stares at the frail door of fractured wood,
and maps her trail through mist to the loud sea.

Stumbling through forest of sneering contempt,
she curls in bushes where the wild fox sleeps.
Timeless despair of numbing death wheels slowly
to flash transparent clarity of sunlight.
Rising as if reborn from mindless death,
she walks through endless grove of whispering trees.
She constructs each moment from beams of light
to step on fragile world of crackling leaves.

Sliding steep slope to lie flat on white sand,
she stares at chirping spiral of blue sky.
He smiled at me with charming words of love
when he wooed me to live as his sweet bride.
He beat my face when I could not cook well,
and twisted my arm when the fire died out.
Standing dazed on bright beach of sparkling waves,
she weeps to be free but still trapped by fear.

My tale of being abused by man I loved
is nothing new in annals of mankind.
I will not wither like some pretty flower
plucked from the field and caged in sunless house.
I will rewrite the drama of my life
as the woman who escaped cage of hate.
Though he hunts me on the ridge of the hill
like the rabbit I will hide from the wolf.

No comments:

Post a Comment