Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Emptiness Of My Heart

Emptiness Of My Heart
© Surazeus
2018 11 27

Out of the strange emptiness of my head
I howl beautiful concepts of fake faith
because one single odd phrase of dire thought
sparks flame of inspiration to burn bright
when I sing electric passion of love
that jolts our flesh with sweet intensity.

When I must sacrifice myself to save the group,
my loyal faith in wisdom of our leader
motivates me to act with selfless intent,
so I slip from hill fort in evening light
and glide through shadows of thick underbrush
and spy on large camp of attacking force.

Ever eager to obey our wise leader,
I think of ways to improve our conditions
and increase security of our wall
that protects us from fierce hostile attacks,
and suggest ideas up chain of command,
so we preserve health of our citizens.

Alone on tall watch tower in silver light
of the singing moon, I spot shadows moving
quick as fierce wolves to break through our defense,
and sound the alarm on the horn of war
when they swarm over our walls at midnight
and stab everyone to death with sharp spears.

Alone in harrowing light of blue dawn,
I wander desolate fort burned by wild fire,
and clutch at skulls of people I once loved,
then kneel before the wise leader who hangs
crucified on the cross, moaning in pain,
as one eye stares down at my stricken face.

How did I fail to protect my good clan,
I wail as I find all my brothers killed,
and all my sisters kidnapped by strong men
who are selling them as slaves in the castle
where the haughty king on high throne of gold
sneers with delight at defeating our tribe.

Huddled by the river, shivering in shock,
I stare at my face wavering in clear water,
then turn away and weep in mute despair
that everyone I loved is dead or gone
because I failed to be eager enough
to protect my clan from hostile attack.

After lying in dust for one thousand days,
I sit up and stare at white skeleton
of my wise leader hanging from the tree,
and wonder at emptiness of my heart
hollowed out by anguish of mute despair,
then sing with birds that flutter in pear trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment