Friday, November 2, 2018

Vote For The Man Without Eyes

Vote For The Man Without Eyes
© Surazeus
2018 11 02

The white-furred kitten with sapphire blue eyes
lounges on the window ledge in sun beams,
languidly swirling her tail like the snake
in the thick apple tree that waits to strike.

People stand in line outside the new church,
waiting to vote for the man without eyes,
while ballots flutter on butterfly wings
and their fingers are caterpillars in trees.

People stare nowhere at the silent breeze,
thinking they see the messiah return
just outside the blurry scope of their eyes,
but snap awake as if from some strange dream.

The old man sits alone in cave of shadows,
watching illusions of people he loved
replay performance of their daily lives,
wondering if they are still alive somewhere.

He reaches out his hand to touch the face
of the woman he married in the grove
as she smiles, eyes flashing clear as the sky,
but he snaps awake from dream reverie.

Now only the ocean calls out his name,
so he steps outside and walks through the crowd
of people at the church who wait to vote,
but none of them see the flame in his eyes.

Once men killed each other to wear the crown
of political power, but now we vote
for the Shadow Sage we want to play god,
though none of them change the rules of the game.

I wake up in the middle of my life,
remembering roles all my ancestors played
on stage of power, and wonder what to say
when everyone waits for my prophecy.

I know I wrote it all down somewhere once,
I whisper as I search through empty pockets,
where I find leaves painted with ancient runes
which cast spells of enchantment on your eyes.

I reach into strange river full of stars
and catch quick fish that wriggles in my hand,
so I sit in shadow cave, roasting fish,
then eat its soul while the sun blows my mind.

The white bird egg in the bowl by the window
remembers the shape of our universe
complete with elegant spiral of atoms
who organize themselves into my brain.

The white-furred kitten with sapphire-blue eyes
explains to me the secret of true love
so I cook food for strangers walking by
who join me to share the tale of their journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment