Monday, November 12, 2018

Comic Book Artist

Comic Book Artist
© Surazeus
2018 11 12

I feel energy of our universe
flowing through fragile capsule of my body
so I spiral hurricane of pulsing light
bound tight to spring coil of my tense desire
which launches me to soar around the globe
and zoom swift as light into void of space.

While streaking along threads of shining photons,
I arch fast as light to the distant star,
then zoom around its aura thirty times
and beam down to the surface of its planet
where rivers flow sparkling from jagged mountains,
and land on plaza in the crystal city.

The tall slender woman with long gold hair,
and eyes gold as the owl I see at night
outside my window, welcomes me with smile
to planet Sutar where her mother reigns
as high priestess of their Goddess Yarmata,
then leads me to throne room in crystal palace.

Blinking my eyes, I look around the room
where students at desks in Lake Side High School
calculate complex algebra equations,
and sigh in despair at strange formulas,
then continue drawing panels for comic
about Astarius, my own superhero.

Astarius stands in hall of crystal palace,
looking like the hybrid of Doctor Strange
and Superman I tried hard to avoid,
but I draw Princess Wistora to look
just like Ishtar of ancient temple statues,
elegant woman who holds writhing serpents.

"Once again, Albert," my teacher declares
in soft voice just over my shoulder, "you
are drawing cartoons instead of homework,
so go to office of the principal,
for you are now on detention again,
and you will spend all Saturday at school."

Stuffing books and paper in my backpack,
I slouch past staring eyes and mocking smirks
to slip out the door into empty hall
where sunlight gleams sick yellow on floor tiles,
so nausea boils in my stomach from rage
as I lean dizzy against cold brick wall.

Sighing in frustration at thwarted hopes,
I push open the glass door to escape
stale prison of high school and walk away
across front lawn to slip past chain link fence
by field where the football team practices,
and cross railroad tracks past large factories.

Finding abandoned brick shed near garage
where my cousins fix car engines, I slouch
at old wood desk where our grandfather worked
running the first gas station in our town,
and continue drawing comic book panels
where Astarius and Wistora first meet.

Thumbing through comic book on Doctor Strange,
where he first gains the Eye of Agomatto,
I think of how comic book artist Stan Lee
started Marvel Comics to publish myths
with superheroes modeled on Greek gods,
determined to earn similar success.

No comments:

Post a Comment