Tuesday, November 27, 2018

I See The Light

I See The Light
© Surazeus
2018 11 27

What strange spirit hovers over our land,
lurid illusion our fevered minds project
as glow cloud of divine authority
that frightened people seriously insist
is conscious god who created all things,
and since they represent that god on Earth
we must obey their commands without question.

The preacher tells me I committed sin
when I smiled at the prettiest girl in church
who happens to be his niece, so I laugh,
and declare, "God is love, so we must love
each other with deep compassion of faith."
But he insists I stand before the church,
so I stand beside him on the raised stage
where he declares that I will burn in Hell
if I do not repent, then raises arms
and prays to Jesus to lead me to light,
demanding I apologize to all.

I see the light shining through the tall window,
the gold light of the sun that rises bright
every morning to illumine the world,
making trees, homes, and people visible
to my eyes, warm sphere that beams rays of love
threading through my heart that pulses with hope,
the light that gleams on the hair of the girl
with eyes sparkling as she gazes at me.
Though the sun gives life to our teeming world
yet it is indifferent to our small lives,
caring nothing for our frail consciousness.

"I see the light," I declare to the church,
and step down and kiss the girl on the lips,
laughing as everyone gasps in mute shock,
then stride down the aisle to the double doors
where I turn back and wave, shouting with glee,
"See you all in Hell, you blind hypocrites".

Stepping outside into the glowing sun,
I leave the stale dark atmosphere of church
and walk with jaunty step down white sidewalk
that glows bright with the gold light of the sun.
Feeling some great weight dissolve from my heart,
I breathe deep sweet wind of the morning glow
that wafts pungent scents from nearby restaurants,
so I walk to the grill on the street corner.
Sitting at glass table on cement sidewalk,
I order one large hamburger with fries,
and sparkly root beer in tall glass of ice.

Looking up at shadow across my table,
I stand up quickly at sight of the girl
I kissed, who then kisses me on the cheek,
and we sit down together at the table.
"My uncle started calling me a slut
in front of everyone I know in church,
some dirty whore condemned to burn in Hell,
even though I did nothing but let you
kiss me in front of the whole congregation,
so I left because I know I am good.
Are you going to buy me a burger too?"
I laugh and order another large meal.

Shaking her head slowly, she laughs at me,
touches my left arm with soft gentle fingers,
so I caress her cheek, and then we kiss.
I lean forward and whisper without care.
"I am beginning to doubt the whole story
because they claim some man of mortal flesh
who lived some two thousand years ago rose
from the dead and will resurrect each person
who declares they love him more than all others.
They sell the lie that he will resurrect
our bodies complete from dust of the Earth
but after biology class in high school
I see how ridiculous that whole tale is."

Drinking her root beer while I eat my burger,
she grins and pokes my forehead with her finger.
"I wondered how long you would see the light.
While the story that Jesus rose from death
appears ridiculous to us these days,
since we are educated about science,
I can see how poor farmers could be fooled
by priests who sell salvation to the poor
so they can live well while the farmers work.
Yet I admire the teachings he proclaimed,
to take care of the weak and the poor with money
because every person is valuable."

Licking my fingers as I eat French fries,
I think about the history of mankind.
"I think Jesus was the first ruling king
to declare that laws should rule our behavior
so we should follow rules and not the king.
I see the last two thousand years as war
between knights who transformed into police
fighting thieves and outlaws to enforce rules
that protect the weak and poor from their greed.
Men who enforce the law of divine justice
fight men who exploit people for their gain,
endless civil war between cops and thieves
to protect people who create good things
with skill of their hands against greedy people
who exploit skilled workers for their own gain.
The messiah who saves people from harm
has become the detective, sleuth of truth
who investigates circumstance of crimes
by assembling facts to reveal the culprit,
so we can protect people from great harm."

The prettiest girl in church with shining eyes
laughs and nods her head while devouring burger.
"From feudal kingdoms with controlling kings
we evolve into democratic states
where we elect descendants of our kings
to rule at strict discretion of our trust
who work with senators to compose laws
that guide behavior so we can create
good things and benefit from our own work,
rules enforced by people with guns that kill
instead of swords to control how we act.
We transformed from kingdom to police state,
vast empire of men with guns fighting wars
against oppressors, tyrants, thieves, and slavers,
so we maintain freedom for every person
who can do what they will, if they harm none."

Gazing with admiration in her eyes,
I ask, "Will you marry me and raise children
who will see the world with more honest eyes?
I have never loved anyone on Earth
as much as I have loved you these three years
since you first came when your uncle got hired
to preach the gospel at our humble church."
I gaze enchanted in her amused eyes.

Laughing as she wipes ketchup from her lips,
she grins, "I will think about marrying you,
but I think we should date for one year first
to make sure we are both compatible,
since we cannot base our relationship
on our mutual disdain for the vain people
who corrupt the church with pretentious pride.
You might love me if you get to know me,
so get to know me, and after one year
if you still love me I will marry you."

Holding hands, we walk on the river shore
and talk about everything under the sun,
then make out as the church burns to the ground,
consumed by flames sparked by electric wires.

No comments:

Post a Comment