Thursday, November 29, 2018

Voodoo Voice Of Eyeless Ghosts

Voodoo Voice Of Eyeless Ghosts
© Surazeus
2018 11 29

I was born on the bayou without legs
so I had to swim everywhere in swamps
like the frog that came to Earth from the moon
on the back of the owl with thirty eyes.

I worked in the circus for forty years,
reciting romantic poetry for crowds
of farmers and miners who could not read
till their children became bankers and doctors.

When bankrupt circus disbanded last decade
I found myself living in Greenwich Village,
teaching children of farmers how to sing
folk songs conjured on Highway Sixty One.

That young boy who came from the Iron Hills
sings with the voodoo voice of eyeless ghosts
so follow him to the beach of lost souls
where the tambourine clown translates the wind.

My owl with thirty eyes has now arrived
so I must return to the silent swamp
where I will sing the story of my life
preserved in weird monolith on the moon.

No comments:

Post a Comment