Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Troll Under The Bridge

Troll Under The Bridge
© Surazeus
2018 09 19

The cup of hot ginger tea on the table
is not the portal to some other world,
he whispers to himself just after dawn,
but how I would like to escape this one.

In that other world I am not some freak
like the talking ferret with bushy tail
who lived in the walls of the ancient mansion
on the Isle of Man many years ago.

Perhaps I can transform shape of my body
from human back to alligator-wolf,
supercool-looking monster with thick fur,
and glowing eyes that will terrify people.

I wish I had eyes that terrify people
because they are always so cruel to me,
glaring at me with hate, mocking my looks
as if I could control shape of my face.

I wish I could transfrom from freakish wimp
to superhero with enormous strength
and lithe ability to fight evil people
like our savior Captain America.

Jesus let himself get killed on the cross
but I want to be the savior who fights,
like Michael fights the demon of despair,
because my demons haunt me everywhere.

Maybe that is why my mother, who died
from cancer when I was six, named me Michael,
because she wants me to slay evil demons,
and save mankind from terrible disease.

I started medical school but the ways
the human body can disintegrate
from horrible diseases disgusts me,
so I wander the streets with nameless people.

Huddled in cardboard box under road bridge,
Michael looks up at face of the strange man
and smiles, so that is why I live here now,
so thank you for bringing me soup each day.

Peter walks away and sits in his car,
shaking his head, Michael does not recognize
his own brother, then weeps into his hands,
then returns to work at the credit union.

No comments:

Post a Comment