Thursday, September 20, 2018

Soft Laughter Of The River

Soft Laughter Of The River
© Surazeus
2018 09 20

Because we love soft laughter of the river
we walk along its shore of hope to linger
where we can ever hear its soothing voice
which reminds us we always have the choice
to lie down in silent shadow and die
to escape pain of hunger in the sky,
or rise up to walk among apple trees
and savor beauty of the whispering breeze.

Each time I reach for ripe fruit in the tree
the rainbow-wing serpent hisses at me,
so I linger in shadow of despair
while sweet butterflies flutter in my hair,
and think about my mother by the pool
where she took me every day to swim cool
till the terrible serpent bit her hand
and her body dissolved into mute land.

Emerging from warm shadow of her soul,
I feel my own self becoming more whole,
as I realize she formed me in her womb
and left me alone in the silent gloom
to blaze my own trail on the river shore
while I discover my true spirit core
that shimmers like the sun inside my head
to glow with awe at life till I fall dead.

My mother is dead and I am alone
so I stand still and breathe on the large stone,
then gripping wand I creep toward apple tree,
freezing when the serpent hisses at me,
then swing hard and fast to crush its small head
and beat it with fury till it writhes dead,
then gasp for breath, startled at my fierce rage,
wondering at the wisdom of the blind sage.

Climbing into the apple tree, I rest
while eating delicious fruit with zest
that beams sun-sparkling water in my brain
which I taste in the sudden drenching rain
that shimmers across the meadow of flowers
and birds flutter chirping in fruit tree bowers,
so my heart beats with rhythm of each wing
when fierce flash of joy causes me to sing.

Because I love soft laughter of the river
I walk beside dim shadow of my mother
till I feel her spirit wake more in me
each day I linger in my apple tree
and sing about strange wonder of the Earth
while aching for spark of life to give birth
to young child who will live beyond my death,
so I stop and take another deep breath.

How do we spark new life, I contemplate
unspoken mysteries of our vital fate,
then wander far along the river shore,
exploring way beyond my known-world core,
till I find young man measuring the land
so I place ripe apple in his strong hand
while he gazes at me with hoping eyes,
and we eat together under clear skies.

I lead him to my grove of apple trees
where we make love in the cool river breeze,
but when I wake from nap he is long gone
so I sing about him at dusk and dawn
while his spirit swells ripe inside my soul,
and I lie in warm sun feeling Earth-Whole,
because I love soft laughter of the river
that helps me dream how to be a good mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment