Sunday, September 2, 2018

Godfather Of Frogs

Godfather Of Frogs
© Surazeus
2018 09 02

As an atheist, I find spiritual meaning
in being nothing but bright atoms congealed
in this temporary flash of consciousness.

I sit on the porch on calm summer evening
and listen to thunder rumble alone
like a child looking for someone to play with.

My ancestor, the poet Anne Bradstreet,
daughter of Harvard-founder Thomas Dudley,
was related to wise Sir Philip Sidney.

Oliver Holmes was descended from Anne,
while Edwin Robinson and Robert Lowell
were descended from two sisters of Anne.

We are the prophets of our great grandfather
Oberon the Wizard of the Weird Wood,
for we chant spells that will enchant your minds.

Only frogs in the woods behind my house
sing along with these poems I improvise,
while I preserve them in flashes of light.

I am Godfather of frogs who sing,
for we are the preeminent family
involved in the crime of writing poetry.

We are children of Walt and Emily,
chanting our weird spells in mad loneliness
that only the soon-born can understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment