Sunday, September 9, 2018

Shadow Of My Sorrow

Shadow Of My Sorrow
© Surazeus
2018 09 09

After chasing elusive butterfly
of happiness for fifty years, I stop
and sit exhausted on the river shore,
and while I float in rancid misery
the butterfly alights on my frail hand.

Across dry valley of sad moaning wind
the shadow of my sorrow walks alone,
till glimmer of the woman with bright eyes
finds me broken in the bleak wilderness,
so she gives me water from her cupped hands.

She takes me to her fragile hut of straw
where she feeds me bread till I regain strength
then I build hearth of stone where she may cook
and construct hall where she may safely dwell,
so we sit together by fire and sing.

She takes me to large grove of apple trees
where we fill baskets of apples for food,
but men with sticks threaten to beat our heads
for the grove is now their private domain,
so I twirl brass scepter I forged from fire.

Twirling and leaping faster than fierce lion,
I break their wands and drive they all away,
then give ripe apple to the gentle woman,
who starts in fear ruthless gang may return,
though she walks safe among tall blooming trees.

I build stone wall around the grove of trees
to protect the woman who saved my life,
so we dwell in lush garden I constructed,
feasting on nutritious fruit of the light,
while our children play chase among the trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment