Sunday, September 2, 2018

Princess In The Tower

Princess In The Tower
© Surazeus
2018 09 02

The rain wants to know when I will come play
outside the sulking walls of the mute house,
so I laugh and draw chart of the whole world
with lead pencil on the brown package paper.

I talk to the rain through the window glass
about how people say things with their mouths
but say something so different with their eyes
that I get lost in the shadows of doors
attempting to discover where they hide.

I eat the slice of toast with marmalade
and sip the cup of tea with lemon slice
just like the young detective in the book
talking about hound of the Baskervilles.

With every strike of lightning flashing white
I see strange monsters crawling from the ground
so I crawl around the house like the wolf
that snarls at the blast of the thunderstorm.

I see their eyes glowing red in the gloom
and feel their presence with me in the room
so I remember how the glow of light
excites the endless beating of my heart.

I follow the wolf to the mountain ridge
where the giant troll lurks around the tower
where the cute princess with flowing blonde hair
calls out for me to come and rescue her.

Where line of trees grow from edge of the cliff
I tie strong rope with tight loop for my feet,
then set it hanging from the bouncing limb,
but pause and gaze in bottomless abyss.

I jump up and down before the dumb troll,
shouting insults about his ugly face,
so he chases me as I run away
just fast enough to keep him on my tail.

I snatch the rope with my foot in the loop
and leap off the cliff into dark abyss
to swing safely against the crumbling dirt,
hoping the troll chases me through the trees.

The troll runs through the laughing line of trees
and hangs shocked for two seconds in the sky
then plummets screaming into vast abyss
to land broken on jagged rocks below.

Climbing up the rope to the crumbling ledge,
I run back to the tower of shining stone,
then climb the winding stairs to the small room
where the princess with long hair lies asleep.

Will the princess in the tower marry me,
I wonder as I watch lightning flash white,
illuminating high hills soaked in rain
where no princess waits in no secret tower.

No comments:

Post a Comment