Monday, September 3, 2018

On The Shore Of River Coe

On The Shore Of River Coe
© Surazeus
2018 09 03

The bright sun gleaming on Aonach Dubh peak
still breaks my heart after mute centuries
of wind blow over broad Glen Coe where sorrow
lies buried on the shore of River Coe.

I left those rugged hills so long ago
to seek my fortune far across the sea
that I forgot the reason why I left
and feel no urgency now to return.

I find new sorrows everywhere I live,
leaving losses buried by every river,
so where can I go now in the wide world
where I will not weep at light on mute hills?

I am content with routine of my life
that satisfies my needs to stay alive
yet flashes of sunlight on rugged peaks
sparks desire to visit her stoneless grave.

Nobody ever knew she was alive
for we would climb alone the mountain slope
to sit on high ledge over wide Glen Coe
and gaze across the gold highlands of Scotland.

Strange music like the aching of moonlight
conjures faint ghost of her featureless face
so I almost see her, warm at my side,
singing with sweet voice that still haunts my dreams.

I see her face in features of the moon
always smiling brightly down at my face
so I try to sing aching melody
that flies at me as the owl with sharp claws.

I used to pretend that she is the moon
always watching over me with bright eyes
but she never responds to words I say
and never helps me solve problems I make.

Though I met new woman with living eyes
who shares my life in Appalachian hills,
she haunts me every night from the sad moon,
still buried on the shore of River Coe.

I will never return to lush Glen Coe
but the timeless spirit of Aonach Dubh
aches inside the broad valley of my heart
where she sings on the shore of River Coe.

No comments:

Post a Comment