Monday, October 22, 2018

Small Town In Ohio

Small Town In Ohio
© Surazeus
2018 10 22

Though shadows between mute trees might conceal
private secrets people try to ignore,
rancid ennui of hopeless despair seeps
into sticky fluids of our frail bodies
which mutates efficient systems of faith
to coagulate horror from laughing lust.

So we lean against the trusting lamp post
to feel vibrations of voices in wires
of telephone lines jolt secret desires
through sponge brains where our sacred souls reside,
and watch strangers hide passionate emotions
behind masks of stereotypes we must play.

Though my ancestors were shipwrecked on the coast
and followed woman with the torch of freedom
from storm-lashed beach to the safe pyramid,
they established their private colony
on the graves of superheroes and gods
whose skulls prophesy in temple of lies.

She looks away when we meet every day
on the garden path to hide shocked despair
but I fail to find the words to ask why
her heart bleeds silent fear into my hands
so I continue about my own business,
leaving her to fade into eyeless shadow.

When I see her uncle push her soft face
against the wall and pull up her long skirt,
I whack his head with the shovel of justice,
so he falls twitching and bleeds till he dies,
then she kisses me, caressing my cheek,
and we run all night along moon-white river.

Holding hands with silent hope for the future,
we walk wagon road through the ancient forest,
hunger for truth gnawing at our hot hearts,
so I turn to smile with encouragement
to see she has become frail skeleton
that glows with eternal light of the stars.

Walking six hundred miles through rugged mountains,
we escape New York for the Promised Land
till we arrive at small town in Ohio
where I find work building wagons and carts
while she sews dresses in the crowded shop,
then we buy small house on Ohio River.

We raise six children over forty years
who all marry and build homes of their own,
and bring their children Sunday afternoons
to play hide and seek in the apple grove
while we feast and talk on the river shore
about secrets concealed by shadows of trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment