Tuesday, October 23, 2018

Live Well Outside The System

Live Well Outside The System
© Surazeus
2018 10 23

Though I keep my heart frozen in the fridge
to conserve values my parents programmed
to believe without question ancient myths
I pretend I am the bird with fleet wings
who sings secrets on the telephone line.

I always follow road signs when I drive
because these days no one can blaze new trails
without bulldozing trees of paradise
to pave highways where cars glide on smooth roads
in our program to build Heaven on Earth.

While I sit at computer typing words
I dream about sitting under fruit trees
and eating apples that fall in my hands
while we sing in harmony with the river
that flows where the judge of life and death reigns.

They throw me before his face in the grass
and demand I answer for all my crimes,
accusing me of stealing from his trees
the sweet fruit that grows from the sun and rain
because he alone decides who can eat.

I long for the loaf-ward to be my shepherd,
who will give me everything I can want,
to lead me to the fountain for my thirst,
to assign land for me to grow fresh crops,
and then we feast in his house every night.

I join community of true believers
and obey rules to make the sect work well
as we raise our children in paradise
and battle thieves who want to steal our land
till we conquer the world with our true way.

In this age when our empire rules the world,
I can sit on the porch and eat ice cream
and listen to the grand orchestra play
symphonies of Beethoven on the radio
while nuclear bombs wait to destroy the Earth.

How shall I rebel against tyranny
when rich men conspire to suppress my vote
so they can cling to power of flowing wealth
while we work in factories to make them rich
if I cannot live well outside the system?

No comments:

Post a Comment