Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Lost Family Home

Lost Family Home
© Surazeus
2018 10 09

Through wild mountains of Oltenia I roam,
searching in vain for the lost family home
where my ancestors lived one thousand years
before they journeyed to America.

I pause by narrow river in the woods
and listen to the sparkle of sunlight
flashing on its clear water as it flows
so I almost hear their songs among trees.

Lost in the vast maze of America,
where we can never feel we are at home,
I longed to return to the mountain vales
where they lived in the wild Romanian woods.

After working thirty years selling homes,
I sold the house after our sad divorce,
and flew across the sea to Bucharest
then drove into the hills of Transylvania.

Arriving at the village of Brezoi,
where my great-grandmother Crina was born,
I walk by the river where lilies bloom
and imagine I feel her soul with me.

Gliding wood boat down the Aluta River,
I follow the Danube to the Black Sea
where only the ancient wind sings to me
as I still search for the lost family home.

No comments:

Post a Comment