Sunday, January 14, 2024

Call Me From The Sea

Call Me From The Sea
© Surazeus
2024 01 14

Reluctant road of billowing blue birds 
explains electric elegance of speed 
when children chasing chickens in the field 
find ancient bearded bard with broken harp 
who tells them gossip their grandmothers hide 
in books stuck in the trunks of weeping trees. 

The graceful horse with long red flowing mane 
looks sideways at me with her moon-black eyes 
as if to chide me for how I behave 
dancing foolishly in vast mirrored hall 
that seems to go forever to the sky 
where angels descend on red flaming wings. 

While picking strawberries near the cliff edge, 
faces gleaming in mist of early dawn, 
we laugh with shyness at pleasure we shared, 
but you slip over edge of nothingness 
as I reach out my hand to clutch at air 
and watch you fall forever in the sea. 

Along grim margin of the laughing sea 
I run long endless years in frantic search 
to find your body floating in cold waves, 
but you have vanished into nothingness, 
your face only clear to me in dark dreams 
when I hear you call me from the sea. 

I enter story of your death sideways, 
reluctant to express sharp pain I feel 
from guilt I failed to save you from the fall, 
yet blue birds on frail limbs of apple trees 
mock my pain with beautiful carefree songs 
so I dive deep into horror of the sea. 

Down deep in cluttered vision of blue light 
I swim into emptiness of my heart 
to find enormous pearl in oyster shell, 
so I grasp small gleaming moon with desperate hand 
and thrust toward leery eye that watches me 
to lie gasping on bleak beach of my grief. 

Cradling enormous pearl in open hands, 
I gaze at mysterious curves of its light, 
and almost see your face in its strange mask, 
so I carry pure spirit of your heart 
as I walk along winding river shore 
past farms of people tending wheat and cows. 

Back home in mirrored hall of your heart 
I kneel before your mother by the hearth 
and show her pearl of your soul that I found 
deep in dark abyss of my aching heart, 
then she embraces me with gentle kiss, 
whispering that she forgives me at last. 


No comments:

Post a Comment