Saturday, July 7, 2018

Trip Down To Wonderland

Trip Down To Wonderland
© Surazeus
2018 07 07

"These memories still floating around my mind,"
the old woman explains to the young girl,
"after I lived more years than I can count
are probably distorted out of whack."
The young girl pours fresh orange juice in her cup,
then adjusts the shawl tight around her shoulders,
and shifts her wheelchair slightly on the porch
so they can better see birds on the lake.

The old woman leans close to the young girl
and lays her trembling hand on her soft arm.
"The night the war was over we went out
and caught the train downtown to join the party.
We joined the crowd around the sparkling fountain
where everyone was dancing in the night.
I twirled with joy at our great victory
right into the arms of a handsome man."

The old woman giggles like a young bride
and covers her mouth as she blushes red.
"He kissed me as fireworks popped in the sky
and fireworks went popping off in my heart.
I married that man in the large cathedral
and we had three strong sons with his blue eyes.
I raised our children in a large clean home
while he designed those sprawling shopping malls."

The old woman sits back in the wheelchair
and stares at the lake glittering in sunlight.
"Of course things went bad when the Sixties came.
My first son died fighting in Vietnam,
my second son joined a rock and roll band,
and my third son became a politician.
Each boy went bad in his own unique way.
My husband left me for a younger girl."

The old woman smiles and pats her pale hand.
"My world fell apart but my heart stayed strong.
I sold the house when they all went away
and joined a hippy commune in the hills.
We smoked marijuana and tended gardens,
because we started growing our own food,
and I helped watch over the little children
who came with all the hippies passing through."

The young girl looks up at her with wide eyes.
"What a wild amazing life you have lead!
When I was born Clinton was President,
so you must have seen Kennedy get shot,
then the Beatles singing across the land.
Did you see Neil Armstrong step on the moon?
Did you protest the bad Vietnam war,
and see Nixon driven from the White House?"

The old woman chuckles and nods her head.
"I saw all of those events, and lots more.
I felt fear in the Cuban missile crisis.
I saw both Bobby and Martin get shot.
I saw Charles Manson put on trial for murder.
I saw the hostage crisis of Iran.
I saw Reagan and Gorbachev make peace.
Then I saw the Soviet Union fall!"

Shaking her frail head in astonishment,
the old woman laughs at absurdity.
"I saw the whole world change from what it was,
the United States transform from small farms
into mighty empire that rules the world,
spreading Democracy and Christianity
by overthrowing dictators and tyrants,
but now it seems we are falling apart."

The young girl stares in mute astonishment,
as the old woman tightly grips her arm.
"The heaven of small-town America
has been destroyed by hordes of immigrants,
as Mexicans and descendants of slaves,
coddled by elite communist professors,
with social justice warriors and gays,
have taken over this country I loved."

The old woman fiddles with her warm shawl.
"True, I was a hippy when I was young,
but when Reagan became our President
I grew up and got a job in the bank,
working my way up to vice-president.
America has lost her basic values
by turning its face away from Lord Jesus,
and now we are beset by evil forces."

Slipping her arm free from the trembling hand,
the young girl hurries inside the rest home
and stands by the window to catch her breath.
"I cannot understand how much old white people
lose their intelligence as they grow older,
people who were liberal for equal rights
becoming more conservative with age
as they cling to white-supremacist world view."

The young girl drinks a glass of apple juice.
"I had to get away before she starts
trying to explain how Hillary is evil,
even though she is the most qualified
and competent person ever to run
for President of the United States.
I cannot understand why people hate her.
We would not be in this mess if she won."

Looking out the window at the old woman,
she feels strange surge of love well from her heart
while looking at the back of her frail head,
so she steps back out and sits at her side.
"Tell me about your days at the commune.
Those sound like the best days of paradise,
living on the land and tending fresh herbs.
I love the music of those times the best."

The old woman grins with a gleam in her eye.
"I remember when cute Jim Morrison
stayed at our commune for three crazy days.
We dropped acid and ran nude in the woods
and made love all night like Adam and Eve."
The young girl smiles and holds her fragile hand
as she listens to the old woman talk,
describing her trip down to Wonderland.

No comments:

Post a Comment