Thursday, July 5, 2018

Become The World Before I Die

Become The World Before I Die
© Surazeus
2018 07 05

The white plate of rice and strips of fried beef
carries my heart to private paradise
because my tongue savors amazing taste
of this routine meal I eat for my supper
as if it were the last meal I may eat
before the end of the world that I love.

I love this weird world that spins lost in space
and all the strange creatures that populate
every nook of its hostile environments
where mankind evolves to accommodate
sultry jungles, blistering deserts, dank caves,
or lush river shores in our search for food.

Fish wriggling in streams, birds flapping in trees,
deer leaping through woods, cows grazing on hills,
sheep milling around lakes, stalks of gold wheat
shimmering on vast plains, fruit hanging from limbs,
and eggs of birds and snakes shining in nests,
we devour with the hunger of lost souls.

When I was younger, beset by teen angst,
I hated everything in our weird world,
longing for some perfect world of clear beauty,
and choked on food at disgust of this flesh,
but now I understand this material world
embodies those perfect ideals we desire.

Now every moment of this life I wake
I gaze with adoring love at all things,
astonished at beauty of land and people,
and savor every bite of food I consume
as if I devour the soul of the world
for each atom pulses with urge of love.

Because I know I will die any time
and vanish forever from dream of light,
I savor sights and tastes of every day
and thrill with ecstasy of wild delight
at every strange sensation I can feel
so I become the world before I die.

No comments:

Post a Comment