Friday, June 1, 2018

Afterlife Of Ophelia

Afterlife Of Ophelia
© Surazeus
2018 06 01

After floating down the river in rain
while clutching flowers and herbs to her breast,
Ophelia crawls on shore in soggy dress
and sits under the apple tree a while.

After staring at letters Hamlet wrote
and gave back to her in library hall,
Ophelia tosses them into the river
and smiles as they dissolve into the world.

While staring at the flow of gleaming water,
Ophelia sees the face of a young man
who sings heart-aching melody of love,
so she dives in and pulls him to the shore.

Stumbling onto grass, they shake off wet weeds,
then sit together under apple tree,
and he smiles when she gives him sweet red fruit,
and they eat together under white clouds.

"My name is Ophelia," she smiles at him.
"My boyfriend Hamlet just broke up with me,
so I swam away to escape his castle
and now I have nowhere to go or live."

"My name is Orpheus," he smiles at her.
"My girlfriend Eurydice cheated on me
when she was tempted by the serpent king
who got her pregnant in the cave of Hades."

Gazing at each other ten thousand years,
Ophelia and Orpheus fall in love,
and kiss under the Apple Tree of Life
while Adam and Eve watch them from the grove.

Adam shouts so they all run to the shore
when they see a woman in a wood boat
so Adam and Orpheus haul it to shore
and lay the woman moaning on the grass.

The elegant lady with long gold hair
wakes from sleep and stretches her arms and legs,
then accepts an apple from Tree of Life
and eats as they sit in a ring of stones.

"So my name is Elaine of Astolat,"
she smiles, "but the man I love, Lancelot,
ignored me whenever I smiled at him,
so I thought I died from a broken heart."

Eve takes hands of Ophelia and Elaine,
and smiles sweetly, "Welcome to Elysium,
garden of apple trees my father built.
You may live with us as long as you please."

Leading them all through the apple orchard,
Adam gives them a tour of paradise,
naming every animal in his zoo,
then ascend the twenty-foot pyramid.

On top the pyramid large crystal eye
watches them ascend stairs to temple hall,
then a handsome man who looks just like Eve
welcomes them to the hearth of glowing flames.

"My name is Helius, son of Ilius,
and you are welcome to our paradise."
They sit together at the large round table,
three pairs of lovers in the hall of songs.

Ophelia and Orpheus sit together,
while Elaine sits shyly with Helius,
then Adam and Eve bring glasses of juice,
so they all drink together at sunset.

Ophelia stands and gazes at them all.
"My heart was broken and I wandered lost,
then fell in the river to drown forever,
but though I sang in death I rose to life."

"I died and was reborn in stream of tears
so now my heart rejoices with sweet love
that in the afterlife of paradise
we find each other to share loyal love."

They all cheer and drink down apple cider,
then share the details of their lives in tales
while feasting in the pyramid of light,
and sing together under shining stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment