Wednesday, April 11, 2018

My Cat Is An Alien God

My Cat Is An Alien God
© Surazeus
2018 04 11

My cat had not returned for seven days,
the sweet purring creature with long gold hair
and green eyes that glow like an alien,
so I went out on the porch in blue twilight
and called her name with anguish in my heart,
then I stepped down the stairs to search for her,
thinking she might be trapped in the thick woods,
but the rotten wood broke and ripped my leg,
so I called the ambulance while I trembled
at the terrible pain stabbing my heart,
then they arrived wailing and flashing lights,
and had to break the splintered slabs to free
my bleeding leg, and I laid on the stretcher,
trying not to cry about my sweet cat
whose face I could see in the twinkling stars,
and they raced me to the cool hospital
where they cleaned my wounds, extracting splinters,
then bound it tight in bandages of hope,
and gave me drugs that made me sleep all night,
hallucinating that my cat was God
who created humans to live on Earth
so we could worship her with selfless love,
but when dawn sun streamed through my fragile soul
I wept for my cat lost out in the woods
or purring at the door, waiting for me
to give her fresh water and bowls of food,
and all I wanted in that hour of despair
was to cuddle my cat on the window sill,
then my brother came after his work hours
and drove me home on the tree-shaded streets,
but every cat I saw running in grass
made me cry again, so when I got home
I hobbled to the back yard in sunset
where my cat was lounging on the back porch,
and I lay in the grass calling her name
so she bounded over, whipping her tail,
and lay purring on my chest in starlight
as I gazed in eerie glow of her eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment