Sunday, April 29, 2018

Indifference Of Starlight

Indifference Of Starlight
© Surazeus
2018 04 29

These are not the white days of broken rocks
beyond the perimeter of the ring
expelled by the sun to javelin time,
though tangled threads of ancient tapestries
unravel memories I thought were mine.

The mystery of the ache I cannot feel,
exposed by the rotting banana peel,
fails to explain why the cracked window pane
leaks tears of sorrow from the laughing rain.

The moon-eyed owl always knows my true name
each time she whispers who in the night wind.

I lean against the rotting door to ask
the ghost of my father no one can see
the way to get past the cathedral wall
so I can find the grave by the oak tree
where my mother talks to ravens at dawn
and explains to me the secret of love
painted on the stone wall with silver blood
that flows from the heart of the unicorn
who takes me to the cave where Sibyl sings
unless my mother makes new pair of wings
so I can fly above the labyrinth
where I see you all wandering in dreams
and pretending to know the reason why.

Through trees that leak sunlight in broken hearts
I hear the nameless girl singing my name
so I run circles through the lonely grove,
searching for the right girl I want to love,
racing between the shadows of desire,
but kneel before the statue of our queen.

She gazes down at center of the world,
looking straight through the mirror mask I wear,
and holds open both hands with generous trust
to bless my desire with eager embrace,
so I step forward to kiss her cold lips
but she does not spring to life at my touch.

The moon-eyed owl in the apple tree laughs
and mocks my quest for the secret of who.

Each morning I wake my memory is blank
so I invent the new name I will wear,
then walk the crowded streets past every stranger
who smiles as if they know tale of my life,
but I sit by the fountain in the market
and watch people who buy and sell the things
that other people make with crafting hands,
and I fall in love with every cute girl
who walks past me in cloud of flower scents,
longing to participate in her drama,
but they all vanish through the labyrinth
where I wander, staring at the locked doors.

Beside the giant stone cathedral I see
the oldest woman in the world with eyes
blacker than the terrible moonless night
who dips brush of horse hair in jar of blood
and paints Runes of Odin on crumbling leaves
to prophesy the names of angry men
who rule every nation as noble kings,
then crushes the leaf in her wrinkled hand
to signify that death crushes us all.

I run from the city and climb the mountain
where I watch invading armies attack
to kill the leaders, enslave the strong men,
and impregnate the women with their seed,
then I walk back down and they crown me king.

I rule one hundred years of solitude,
fathering one thousand sons who form gangs
to storm the citadel where I dream laws,
and each son crowns himself the noble king
on one thousand pyramids they construct
from the skulls of the people whom they conquer,
but we all fall asleep and forget how
we kill each other and breed with each other
to build empires that crumble in the wind.

The moon-eyed owl in the strange ruined tower
stares at me with the indifference of starlight.

Every object is a structure of atoms,
therefore flashing atoms coming together
as a complete entity is construction,
and atoms of a composed entity
dissolving into small parts is destruction,
therefore we base all our judgments of value
about whether events are good or evil
on whether these change-inducing processes
of construction or destruction are good
for our continued life as conscious structures,
and decide what actions we want to take
when we understand the process of action
that executes functions of cause and effect,
which we codify as the moral system
of ethics that guides will of our behavior.

I cut stones in blocks and build the strong walls
that surround the fountain bubbling fresh water
and protect the grove of tall apple trees,
then I stand in watch tower and tend warm fire
while my wife and children tend blooming plants,
for I am god who guards the sacred garden.

From that paradise of surrounding walls,
the safe haven of heaven by the river,
we expand to conquer the entire globe,
incorporating all nations in our empire
to enforce laws that rule common behavior
which maintain daily routines of strict labor
so every person who works earns reward
of gold coins stamped with the face of God Father
whose wise judgment enforces equal justice
only for those who obey his commands.

The moon-eyed owl watches me wander lost
in the ruins of ten thousand great empires.

No comments:

Post a Comment