Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Yuletide In Norway

Yuletide In Norway
© Surazeus
2018 12 19

The girl with blonde hair hangs on the pine tree
red apples and green pears that glitter bright
in flames of candles flickering on the table
where wood bowls are heaped with walnuts and berries.

Cracking eggs on edge of the large wood bowl,
she mixes them into honey and milk,
then sets it to simmer by the warm fire
that shimmers inside the large hearth of stone.

Seven butterflies flutter around flowers
that still bloom inside large wood feasting hall,
though snow flakes flutter on its high peaked roof
and cold winds blow up from the sparkling bay.

The girl with blonde hair sits by the old woman
who carves wood blocks into plates, bowls, and cups,
and asks her how they first came to this land,
while sewing pillow cases from white sheets.

"My father was the ninth son of the thane
who united three bays under his rule,
so he loaded his ship with seeds and stock,
and we sailed through mist to find new free land."

"When my parents and I sailed in this bay,
he built small wood hall between two large rocks
then turned his boat upside down on its frame
to roof our heads against the falling snow."

"My mother died while birthing my dead brother
so my father and I lived years alone,
till one summer I climbed the mountain slopes
and met your father by the waterfall."

"My grandfather came with fleet of twelve ships,
so your father sailed with him west to England
where he was killed in battle against Christians,
so I was alone here when you were born."

The girl with blonde hair jumps up to her feet
when someone knocks on the door, then she runs
and swings it open to kiss the tall boy
who steps inside, bearing pig on his shoulder.

The girl and boy roast fat pig on the fire,
and laugh together as they feast and drink,
then kiss blushing in flicker of bright flames,
and sing melodies as snow shrouds the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment