Sunday, December 23, 2018

Aurnia In Mist Of Glen Coe

Aurnia In Mist Of Glen Coe
© Surazeus
2018 08 09

Starving and thin after trudging eight days
somewhere bright across the bleak windy heath,
Aurnia stumbles to her knees in thick grass
that twitches in wind by the narrow stream.
"My heart is stark blue as the shimmering stream
that flows down from the cold indifferent sky."
Lurching forward toward memory of the face,
she tumbles dizzy into nothingness.

Falling to her breast on the thick moist soil,
Aurnia stares through thick curls of long gold hair
and gasps for breath as her fingers claw stiff,
clutching at cold muck of the pulsing world.
"My soul dissolves into the stinking muck
and I become the sorrow of the world,
drowning in cold rain that forever falls
and pierces my bones with freezing desire."

Gold sun gleams forever on distant hills,
beaming rays that stab her eyes with despair
as Aurnia crawls slowly to the bright river.
Dipping frail white hand in cold flowing water,
she lifts it to her lips and sips the light.
Horror of nothingness pierces her heart
as refreshing water freezes her throat.
Closing her eyes she sinks into bright gloom.

Stirring awake at sharp twitter of birds,
Aurnia stretches her arms in languid pleasure,
then opens her eyes, startled at the glare
of sunlight, and stares around in mute shock.
"Why am I not in my safe tower bedroom?
How did I get here to this open field?
What happened to drive me out of my home?"
Pressing hand to forehead, she stares at grass.

Trembling at sudden shock of shivering fear,
Aurnia looks around at the windy heath,
and spies small raspberry bush by the river,
so she crawls on hands and knees on hard mud.
Plucking red berries from vines of sharp thorns,
she sucks at sour bitter taste with delight,
and feels sweet sunlight tingle on her skin
as she licks juice staining her fingertips.

Clutching gray rocks softened by tufts of moss,
Aurnia forms ring of stones on river shore,
then constructs fire frame from moss, twigs, and logs,
and strikes stones to spark flame glowing in mist.
"After my mother died, my lonely father
brought home new wife who locked me in my room,
and then she poured poison into his wine,
and he screamed in agony for three days."

Hunched over warm fire on vast windy heath,
Aurnia eats mushrooms that sprout on small stones,
then dips her finger in cold flowing water
to write her sorrow on heart of the world.
"She threw body of my father outside,
then pushed me out in the cold moonless night,
so now she lives in luxury of my tower
while I wander lost in waste land of fear."

Climbing steep rugged slope of Glen Coe hills,
in mist from white lake of the shining sky,
Aurnia finds cave where her grandmother lived
before her mother married the tower wizard.
"Now I am home in cavern of my heart
where my mothers have lived ten thousand years
since solid world emerged from swirling seas,
so here I will live till the end of time."

No comments:

Post a Comment