Sunday, December 30, 2018

Quest Of The Deer Shaman

Quest Of The Deer Shaman
© Surazeus
2018 12 30

The universe wakes up inside my brain
and sings the pulse of atoms weaving stars,
so outward from hot core of the White Whole
we spiral into planets teeming life.

Yet so small and frail in body of flesh
I crouch under canopy of the tree
where my mother first taught me how to sing
heart-aching melodies of mute desire.

The rising sun gleams on broad sloping plain
covered with snow that flashes in my eyes
so I squint to more clearly see through glow
flock of deer drinking from the sparkling river.

Pieces of fire hardened into flint stones
fall from the sun and sizzle at my feet,
so I clash them together to spark fire
that flickers warm as I huddle in snow.

Draped in thick deer-fur cloak to keep me warm,
I adjust skull with antlers on my head,
then, notching arrow in bow of Yew wood,
I creep toward the deer who look up at me.

Stamping sharp hoof on snow, the herd buck snorts,
then charges to gore rival to his power
so I hold my breath and pull the bow taut
then shoot the arrow straight into his heart.

Dragging the dead buck up my snow-slick hill,
I heave his carcass on the altar stone,
then carve off his skin and roast him on flames
to feast on sweet meat as stars sparkle bright.

I feel the spirit of the noble buck
wake inside my mind with dreams of bright stars,
so I race around the stone and the tree
that shimmer bright in the silver moonlight.

I become the buck racing over hills,
leading flock of does to lush river shores,
then generate new life inside their hearts
so thousands of my children spring to life.

I lead them galloping among the stars,
bright children of the wind with shining eyes
who weave among the trees in fluttering groves
to chase the rainbow far beyond the clouds.

Curled on the ground at roots of my tall tree,
I wake from dream of running with the wind
and stand to find myself human again,
fragile creature watching the sun rise bright.

Flurries of snow swirl around me with flash
of timeless sunlight gleaming from far hills,
so I eat roasted deer meat and raspberries
I hid underground in pots of baked clay.

I lived my entire life on this small hill,
growing up with my mother till she died,
so, standing tall and grasping sturdy stick,
I march down the hill to the river shore.

I follow flowing stream of the clear water
that flickers sparks of light from the bright sun
and walk beyond the far bounds of the world
around the steep cliff of the distant hill.

I stand astonished on the edge of space
to see entire new valley of tall trees
on distant hills appear before my eyes,
so I continue on, following the river.

The universe wakes up inside my brain
and sings the sparkle of sunlight on rivers,
so outward from deep core of the White Whole
we evolve into humans with clear eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment