Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Ghost Of Your Sister

Ghost Of Your Sister
© Surazeus
2018 12 05

Waking up at dawn on the river shore,
the old warrior sits at the flickering fire
and stares at the woman who cooks fresh stew
from rabbits, mushrooms, carrots, beets, and herbs.
"Who are you, and how did I get here now?
How many years have I been living here?
I feel like I just woke from some strange dream."

The woman with long blonde hair, woven tight
with vines of flowers, grins at his surprise.
"Around seven summers ago, I think,
you wandered into town after our kings
fought bloody battle on the misty hill,
and you sat down with me while I cooked stew
and talked to me as if I were your sister.
I explained many times over the years
that I am not your sister at your home,
but you always addressed me by her name.
Everyone else calls me by my real name
but still you always treated me like her.
After several years I grew to accept
that you may always think that I am her,
so I became two people in this village,
the real me I am, and ghost of your sister.
Because you arrived right after the battle,
I assumed you were warrior of renown
who was hit on the head too many times
so you mistook me for your darling sister
since your memory was scrambled by hard blows."

The old warrior laughs and shakes his head,
then returns to skinning rabbits for stew.
"I remember fighting that brutal battle,
and I remember coming to your village,
and I remember joy when I saw you,
thinking you are my sister who had died.
I could not understand how you could be
still alive even though I saw you die.
I remember every day seven years,
but not once in all that time till this moment
did I realize you are not my real sister.
I cannot understand what must have changed
to make me realize now you are not her.
You look just like her with the same sweet face,
the same long hair, the same flashing blue eyes,
the same way of striding with confidence,
the same way of glaring at me annoyed.
Yet whether or not you are my real sister
I have come to love you like my own sister.
Thank you for taking care of me these years
and tolerating my boorish behavior."

Slowly slipping arm around his broad shoulders,
she leans close as he gazes in her eyes,
then kisses his mouth with passionate hope
and whispers as she caresses his chest.
"Now that you realize I am not your sister,
how about we enjoy pleasures of love
and generate children from our two bodies?
So many nights over these seven years
as you lay nearby in the moonlit dark
I wanted you to grasp me in your arms
and fill me with the spirit of your love
so I could hold your baby in my arms
and feed them milk that drips from my full breasts."

Astonished at the passion of her kiss,
he returns her kiss with hot eagerness,
then follows her into the small stone cottage
he constructed and repaired many years,
and they make love while birds chirp in fruit trees,
their moans blending with the murmuring stream.

No comments:

Post a Comment