Monday, October 14, 2024

Nowhere Of Paradise

Nowhere Of Paradise
© Surazeus
2024 10 14

When I stroll down the driveway of my home 
to get the mail just after I eat lunch, 
soft glow of sunlight in wind-shifting trees 
wakes ancient memories nascent in my brain 
so I remember walking roadless plains 
one hundred thousand years of eager hope. 

Time seems to slow down as I venture forth 
from town where I have lived since time began 
to travel fifty miles each thousand years 
till I have journeyed halfway round the globe 
over mountains and seas to where I am 
now here in the nowhere of paradise. 

I travel forward toward the setting sun 
forever searching for the Promised Land 
that shines over dim horizon of hope 
while singing with the turning wheels of fate 
on which my wagon rolls to blaze new road 
where thousands follow me with desperate faith. 

On wings of imagination I fly 
back along old roads my ancestors mapped 
to find the lake where they first woke from dream 
and traveled forth to colonize the globe, 
sent forth by Ishtar on high pyramid 
to spawn curious children on river shores. 

Name of First Mother on shore of the lake, 
who taught us how to cook food over fires 
and how to sing clear visions of our minds, 
almost appears from misty depths of time 
when she smiles at me with star-beaming eyes 
and gives me fruit she snatched from Tree of Life. 

This timeless stretch of vivid memory, 
that spans more years than human history 
recorded by story-tellers in fanes, 
expands my sense of serious destiny 
so courage to fight for justice and truth 
inspires me with hope for democracy. 

From every group wise honest leaders rise 
to guide their people on the road of life, 
and those whose rule helps every person grow 
found prosperous states that thrive in happiness, 
but those whose rule exploits the common folk 
are killed in revolutions from despair. 

Collecting mail with secrets of success, 
delivered by angels with hidden wings, 
I stroll back in home my dreams have composed 
to sit before computer at work desk 
with timeless energy of human hope 
and help program the world computer brain. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus sorts mail from advertisers and utility companies to find the latest poetry journal from the university of the mind.

    ReplyDelete