Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Visit Tomb Of Rome

Visit Tomb Of Rome
© Surazeus
2022 12 13

If I could ever visit tomb of Rome 
I would search skull-paved Capitoline Hill 
to find the lost Temple of Jupiter 
where I once transcribed the Saturnine verse 
of epic poems that Muses sang on stage 
about the man of wiles and man of rage. 

In flowing waters of the Tiber stream 
I would swim with Venus in morning light 
then lounge on grassy bank of Tiber Island 
where birds and snakes play in its apple groves 
to feast on ripe fruit blooming from the Earth 
while she explains the secret of rebirth. 

In cave of dreams where Sibylla once sang, 
that forms foundation of the Vatican, 
I would chant ancient spells of riddle verse 
to prophesy the rise and fall of kings 
who wear the jeweled triple crown of Christ 
in concert with the laughing poltergeist. 

In crowded forum of philosophers 
I would discuss true nature of all things 
composed of atoms swerving in the void 
which congregate in strange material forms 
from linguistic Ideas our brains design 
which I teach to boys on the Palatine. 

In lush fruit gardens of sprawling estates 
I would saunter with wolf boys in moonlight 
and chase cute dryads into laurel trees 
who throw wreaths to the boys they want to marry 
but all I find now are cars on paved roads 
that rumble with the psychic songs of toads. 

Across blue fields of frosty hyacinths 
I would tread the golden stars of weird fate 
to stand by bubbling fountain of Juturna 
and strum melodious lyre of Mercury 
while singing sweet satires of Juvenal, 
then join wild naiads in the waterfall. 

On field of Mars where boys learn martial arts 
I would fire bow of Sagittarius, 
then march through wild forests of Germany 
where I reign as Belenus in stone fort, 
guarding Belestis, sweet goddess of light, 
who teaches me mind technique of dream flight. 

Though Rome of my memories is long gone, 
vanished in the mist of three thousand years, 
I feel its sacred landscape in my heart 
still glowing with light of eternity 
so I return to lush hills in my dreams 
to make love with Silvia by moonlit streams. 

1 comment:

  1. You search in Rome for Rome?
    Robert Lowell
    Poetry Foundation & Poetry Magazine
    October/November 1963
    https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/browse?contentId=29552

    ReplyDelete