Monday, December 19, 2022

Analysis Of Hungry Hearts

Analysis Of Hungry Hearts
© Surazeus
2022 12 19

When the drowned man returns from the Dead Sea 
and enters cathedral of singing skulls 
the children with straw baskets full of eggs 
hold hands and dance around him as they sing 
ring around the roses till serpents hatch 
and slither into shadows of the land. 

Madame Sosostris refuses to read 
the latest world economic reports 
based on analysis of hungry hearts 
conducted at the Institute of Fate 
so I go fishing on the river shore 
to dredge up bodies of prophets and kings. 

I wander in the meadow of white crows 
till I find grave of the hyacinth girl 
so I tell her about my life last year 
when I almost died from the broken heart 
I won when I played poker with Despair 
who drives away in the red cadillac. 

Because when I am lost in maze of myths 
to find manic pixie dream girl I love 
Pegasus appears in red door of light 
so I climb on her back with common sense 
so we can fly to Jupiter and back 
on holy mission to deceive the world. 

Yet every little town where I have lived 
almost sixty years sea to shining sea 
is but one suburb of the Unreal City 
where crowds of the grateful dead in gray suits 
flow over Bridge of Hope in swirling fog 
but I turn around and walk back to Hell. 

At home in streets of Pandemonium, 
where my ancestors many generations 
have worked as scribes in Museum of Lies, 
I stroll with fuzzy feelings in my heart 
for organized chaos of human life 
far from celestial realm of temple ways. 

Weary of my job bearing torch of light 
through maze of ziggurats where old gods dwell, 
I purchase boat of Charon from his widow 
to sail the River Styx past paradise 
so I can find secret stairway to Heaven, 
but end up lost in cold Chesapeake Bay. 

Arriving home in lush Elysium, 
after many years exploring the Earth, 
I cry when Melusine jumps in my arms, 
then seats me at the table of our love 
and feeds me fettucine with beef steaks, 
then we drink eiswein and kiss by the hearth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment