Thursday, February 22, 2024

Blood-Red Eyeball

Blood-Red Eyeball
© Surazeus
2024 02 22

The blood-red eyeball gleaming in the sky 
glares down at me with melancholy love 
that sends stark shivers to my aching heart 
at memory of strange moments in my life 
that vanished from this world long years ago 
and leaves me empty by the singing stream. 

The blood-red moon that always watches me 
reflects dim faces of people I loved 
who silently now stare beyond my face 
till I become invisible to time, 
and grope among sharp weeds by bitter rocks 
to find the name I lost in shadowed light. 

Lost in looped replay of events long past, 
in which I cringe at how heart-broken angst 
expressed outrage through words of bitter hope 
that drove the good people I love away, 
I huddle in cold numbness of despair 
and hide my face in blood-glow of the moon. 

Inhaling cold breath of the blood-red moon, 
who sneers at my ambition to survive 
cruel mockery of people I would trust, 
I stand on windy heath by singing stream, 
determined to knock on locked door of hope, 
and smile with real sweetness my heart contains. 

The blood-red beauty of my aching heart, 
pierced by sharp arrow of his mocking words, 
radiates from core of my feverish soul 
in rippling waves of anguish that contort 
my wretched frame of flesh, stung by cold rain 
that drains my sorrow in the starless void. 

Blinded by blood-red moon in cloud-black sky, 
I cannot find trustworthy tree of truth 
where we once tangled our bodies in tryst, 
when he would give me warm loaf of his love 
to nourish passion of my hungry soul, 
so I eat purple thistles of despair. 

The bright-eyed boy who plucked apples of faith 
during secret trysts under Tree of Trust, 
has become poisonous serpent of rage 
whose sharp words wound my heart with disbelief 
that he would curse me whom he claimed to love, 
then abandon me to wander dark nights. 

The blood-red eyeball of the mocking moon 
glows with bright indifference of arrogance 
to suck my soul in fevered flames of fear 
as I sink mute in darkness of the void 
that swallows me in nothingness of faith 
till I am nothing but moonlight on mud. 


1 comment:

  1. I started writing this poem without knowing that less than five miles away a woman had been murdered earlier this morning at the intramural field on the University of Georgia campus.

    ReplyDelete