Friday, August 9, 2024

Thirteenth Muse of America

Thirteenth Muse of America
© Surazeus
2024 08 09

Now that seeds of light the Serpent designs 
have sprouted from soil of this evening land 
where my Puritan ancestors of the Book 
planted them with prayers in dark raven woods 
four hundred years ago, my heart perceives 
strange beauty in song of the river flow. 

Eyes blue-green as the sea after a storm, 
and gowned in black dress woven from moonlight, 
Anne Bradstreet wanders in wild shadowed woods, 
attempting to hide her tattered angel wings 
beneath long cloak drenched in dew from tall ferns, 
while she chants spells she hears river stones sing. 

Longing to stroll in mist of Salcey Forest, 
where sparkling bluebells shimmer among oaks, 
Anne pauses by broad Quinobequin River, 
and wonders if light-hearted fairies fly 
in these strange woods so far across the sea, 
and weeps at sharp ache in her throbbing heart. 

After sailing in fragile ship of hope 
across wild sea of soul-transforming waves, 
Anne catches gusts of wind from river flow, 
as hungry men wring bread from stocks and stones, 
with faith of Icarus that she can fly 
high enough to find Heaven in the clouds. 

Before my soul becomes trapped in cold chapel 
that imprisons believers with strict rules, 
I journey west to find the Promised Land 
in covered wagon on long signless road 
past fruit trees from seeds sewn by Mercury 
till I arrive in hills of Idaho. 

As son of Cain I wander ever west 
with Lamp of Lucifer bright in my hand 
ten thousand years beyond the Holy Land, 
Jerusalem through Rome to London Town, 
then to Atlantis where Onatah reigns 
as our noble Goddess of Liberty. 

With confidence of the brave pioneer 
I assure myself that I have escaped 
hellish atmosphere of New England woods, 
but grim spirit of the Puritan Seer 
still burns bright in cabin hearth of my heart, 
guiding my journey across the waste land. 

With raven-feather quill of Anne Bradstreet, 
my tenth great-grandmother from Merry England, 
I write magic spells in Saturnian verse 
as the Thirteenth Muse of America 
to channel weird spirit of Melusine, 
my Serpent Mother who rules Avalon. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus plays lyre of Mercury while Anne Bradstreet recites poetry in misty forest of the evening land.

    ReplyDelete