Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Texas Country Road

Texas Country Road
© Surazeus
2024 08 06

I have sat in dark of the world so long 
my face has become the shadow of hope, 
and my heart has curled roots to the Earth core, 
so mirror of my soul reflects the light 
that shines from people untainted by fear 
which reveals hidden forces of desire. 

You may not understand riddles I speak, 
for they are tangled with unspoken wants 
I dare not show to the people I love 
since we are stuck together in the game 
no one but Death ever wins in the end, 
but I will keep expressing how I feel. 

Maybe if I bake the sweetest apple pie 
and offer its delight to passers-by 
they might not hesitate to buy the truth 
from the old one-eyed woman by the lake 
who teaches cats and mice how to sing spells 
that leave us entranced at the picture show. 

Waiting by the car in the parking lot, 
I see bright shadow of my soul in glass 
among posters of movies about ghosts, 
so I count cars that gleam in silver light 
as they glide on the Texas country road 
and vanish in the theater of faith. 

The warrior woman in the wolf-fur skirt, 
who grips long spear as she runs in the woods 
where dinosaurs loom over city towers, 
looks in my eyes with courage of the lost, 
so I run with her to the mountain cave 
where we raise seven children of our love. 

Stuck in cave of illusions, where we hide 
from hungry demons twenty thousand years, 
we evolve from apes into wingless angels 
who gather on the ziggurat at dawn 
and gaze at giant diamond gleaming gold 
to perceive nature of the universe. 

Emerging from shadow of Error Cave, 
transformed by faith in solitude of Death, 
I herd milk cows along the river shore 
to build world empire from Byzantium 
where I wear jeweled crown of stolen gold 
and play World God till I grow old and die. 

Each puzzle piece from history of the world, 
which I arrange to create new world view, 
reveals some sacred truth through psychic trope 
that conjures weird demonic soul from fear 
when I scatter seeds of alphabet thoughts 
that sprout as wheat we bake in loaves of bread. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus stares at Rachel Welch on poster of One Million Years B.C. on the store window along the Texas country road.

    ReplyDelete