Sunday, September 29, 2024

Act Without Acting

Act Without Acting
© Surazeus
2024 09 29

Prancing with goats around the fountain pool, 
when over lush meadows buzzing bees swarm, 
Faunus waves long stalk of wheat toward the sky 
and calls me with wild welcome laugh of joy, 
so his bright smile casts beams of happiness 
dispelling pall of gloom that clouds my heart. 

After drinking wine he pours in my cup, 
I feel my body spread wide happy wings 
light as calculus of pleasure that lifts 
my aching heart in breathy nonchalance 
above dark jagged horror of despair 
so I cavort with effortless intent. 

We should perform as stewards of the Earth, 
starry-eyed Faunus shouts above sweet din 
of harps and tambourines that bounce with drums 
in frantic anguish to seek heights of truth 
as I fling skyward ragged frame of flesh 
till I collapse with flatteries of spray. 

I float in clambering mesh of rippling waves 
that sparkle ecstasy of spinning stars 
far dizzy more than time constrains world sphere 
as I gasp deep for air of calumny 
too slanderous for love I wish to earn 
from Faunus who still claps his hands with glee. 

My father died while we were hunting boar, 
gored through his stomach by sharp horn of rage, 
so I perceive reflected as his face 
father figure of calm authority 
in Faunus who still watches over me 
since I first wandered childly in his field. 

How should I live with anguish from his loss, 
I slur to Faunus while stumbling confused, 
after all these years without his stern eyes 
asserting wisdom I should know by heart, 
for I can never match his manliness 
with graceful honor of my broken soul. 

Instead of hunting boar in tangled woods, 
I sit by rippling lake near willow tree 
and cast fishing line of woven horsehair 
with quiet contemplation about fate 
that we define through every choice we make, 
thus I act without acting from calm faith. 

Herd of goats bleating as they flee in wind 
startles me from revery of despair 
to gasp when Faunus stumbles in my arms, 
shot by arrows of thieves who stole his pets, 
so I cradle my second father close 
and weep as his soul dissipates in wind. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus comforts Latinus who weeps over Faunus murdered by thieves.

    ReplyDelete