Friday, May 31, 2024

Rescue Medea From Despair

Rescue Medea From Despair
© Surazeus
2024 05 31

I ask the oak standing in my front yard 
to recite lost tale of the Argonauts 
so she generates endless lines of code 
that program how my brain perceives the world, 
then prints ancient tale of Valerius 
on pages she binds in book of my skin. 

After Jason and his buddies return 
from stealing golden fleece from Helius, 
I hear them laughing in the tavern hall 
how they abandoned Medea on lost isle 
so he can marry daughter of the king, 
which breaks cup of my heart I cast in rage. 

Sailing ship named Eunoia, Loyalty, 
swift to rescue Medea from despair, 
I find Aeaea, jagged isle of Circe, 
shrouded in smoke from high volcanic peak, 
and ride rough waves that leap and buck like bull 
of rage with sharp horns Mithras grasps to tame. 

Hurled to the rocky shore by howling wind, 
I crawl steep winding trail around high peak 
to find Medea huddling in dank cave, 
long hair tangled by hands of Zephyrus, 
and blue eyes gleaming with heart-wrenching shock 
of hope that Jason may return for her. 

When I see Zephyrus attempt to rape 
granddaughter of Helius with selfish lust, 
I wrestle him with courage of respect 
to cast him off cliff of justice with prayer 
for help from Venus to protect lost girl 
who accepts apple from my gentle hand. 

Standing tall on ledge outside the dank cave 
as sunlight glows warm on her pain-rent face, 
Medea sings heart-breaking spell of hope 
that Jason will return with gratitude 
to accept true love that burns within her heart, 
as tears stream down her cheeks from hopeless eyes. 

Holding hands of Medea as she weeps, 
I ask if she can take my love instead 
since I love her as much as she loves him, 
vowing I will always stay by her side 
and care for her needs with generous hands, 
for I offer her life instead of death. 

Deciding to evade her tragic fate, 
Medea smiles with joy of renewed hope 
when she sees true love shining in my eyes, 
so I lead her to ship of loyalty 
where she stabs my soft heart, then sails away, 
leaving me to stare at the long-dead stars. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus takes my skull to the Temple of Saturn in Roma where I prophesy the rise and fall of empires.

    ReplyDelete