Thursday, May 23, 2024

Key Epiphany Of Truth

Key Epiphany Of Truth
© Surazeus
2024 05 23

I remember glow of the Beautiful 
I saw while I stood in liminal space 
of that weird ambiguous state of hope 
between doubt and faith in process of growth 
beyond the fractured sense of self I lost 
when I spoke the Word in soft evening glow. 

When I tattoo my heart with the Black Flame 
to bind my soul with monstrous honesty 
through writhing passion of the cold abyss, 
I hope blind Death will pass me by in jest 
dark hour I wait beneath the apple tree 
to hear heart-enchanting song of the serpent. 

When patient toad with gold hypnotic eyes, 
who chants immortal song of ocean waves 
while crouched like devilish tyrant of glee 
on purple mushroom of the dreamless cave, 
glares deep in wordless forest of my heart, 
I will decide then to obey or not. 

With Christ, Gilgamesh, Adam, and Achilles 
I discover short mortal state of life 
inherent in organic frame of cells 
fueled by interactions of chemicals 
that constitutes this body of frail flesh 
which nurtures spirit of my conscious mind. 

Though many prophets in history of man 
have preached immortal nature of our soul 
as spark of divine light trapped in frame of flesh, 
I reject this desperate belief as cruel lie 
that fools our minds to think we will survive 
dissolution of this body we are. 

When I was twenty-five years old I went 
forth from Seattle across the waste land 
to find true secret of the Holy Grail, 
and journeyed twenty years east on the road 
in quest that lead me to the Promised Land 
where I sang epic of philosophers. 

Now in safe haven of my garden home, 
in Athens town of Appalachian Hills, 
named for ancient city Athena ruled, 
I map globe atlas of world history 
while caring for our children with my wife 
who pours juice in my cup for me to drink. 

While on Takoma Mountain in lush grove, 
holy as Parnassus and Helicon, 
I witnessed key epiphany of truth 
when wise Astara, Muse of Liberty, 
gave me blank book and raven-feather quill, 
then filled my brain with visions of the world. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus preaches that no one can be resurrected from the dead till desperate believers rip off his head in terror of eternal nothingness.

    ReplyDelete