Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Brings The Distant Light

Brings The Distant Light
© Surazeus
2018 05 22

Across the windy wilderness I stride
to bear the glowing Light of Liberty
into the waste land of despair and greed
where poor people struggle in poverty.

The Angel of the Lord comes down to me
from glass halls of heaven on wings of fire
to fill me with love for humanity
on mission to save mankind from desire.

Far westward in the wilderness I go,
leaving behind decadent Babylon,
to preach the gospel in desert or snow
like Pheidippides ran from Marathon.

I stand on hilltop in the blowing wind
to bear the Word of God to heathen tribes
with Light of Truth to give sight to the blind
and teach them letters so they can be scribes.

I struggle through the waste land of despair,
feet sinking in the swamp of mocking lies,
then when I lose the Bible turn to prayer,
calling out for help to the empty skies.

I wander alone in mute wilderness,
searching in vain for the fountain of life,
then curse my pride with laughing bitterness
because I bear with human strength hard strife.

My preacher costume in torn tatters falls
so I stand naked on the sun-hot hill,
clutching at dust where no bright angel calls,
then humbly kneel to drink from trickling rill.

While slouching by the river in dark gloom
I ponder why I feel the call to preach
as if I could save humans from our doom
since all I can do well is love and teach.

I shiver in long dark night of the soul
and tumble in the emptiness of truth
till I become one mind with the White Whole
and transform into the truth-seeking sleuth.

When dawn sun gleams bright over silent hills
and shines warm on me with indifferent light
I employ my meager survival skills
to walk forward on way I hope is right.

When the gentle tribe finds me wandering lost
they take me to their home and give me food
then I look back on wilderness I crossed
and listen to their songs that lift my mood.

I listen to them chanting under stars
and in the flash of vision from their eyes
I see the journey their ancestors took,
searching for lush vale under timeless skies.

They welcome me into their roving clan
and teach me words they speak with laughing play,
so I join their exploring caravan
to learn the landscape of their ancient way.

While catching large fish by the sparkling stream,
I tell them sacred story of my heart
how my father died to save man with dream,
then show them the whole world on my road chart.

Young woman named Hopping Bird asks me why
I walked so far away from my own home
so I explain, I bring the distant light
of truth, then sigh because now I but roam.

While I sit by warm fire in gold moonlight
Hopping Bird paints my face with one white stripe
then gives me new name, Brings the Distant Light,
so I kiss and make love with my new bride.

Seven children spring from our mutual love
who follow me as I explore the land,
so I show them the Great Spirit above
who holds the whole world in his loving hand.

I came here long ago to preach the truth
about the Son of God who saved mankind,
but your ma taught me love in my lost youth
so now she is the Angel of my mind.

Treat other people with loving respect
as you want them to treat you in return
so every act from love will be correct
and always open your wise heart to learn.

Together with my loving family
we walk forth across the bountiful lands,
living divine love in humility
while tending lush gardens with crafty hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment