Sunday, January 21, 2018

To Keep My Family Alive

To Keep My Family Alive
© Surazeus
2018 01 21

Over lush hills where yellow flowers bloom
we loved to run through groves of apple trees
and feel the sun glowing warm on our skin
as we lay laughing where the white clouds play.

How sweet was the pleasure of carefree joy
on timeless afternoons of our childhood
when we played games in pure eternal light
since every day was the day of all days.

How quickly now they seemed to spin away
those timeless days when the sun never set
with every day the sun did set in gloom
and we woke again to play the new day.

Now every passing day from bright sunrise
to dark sunset flashes before my eyes
and I trudge endless round of work and sleep,
building boats, then sinking in dreamless gloom.

Why can only children enjoy free play,
chasing each other on the river shore
and kissing in trees where honey bees float,
while I must carve wood to build boats all day?

If I did not have five children and a wife
to house and clothe and feed and keep alive
by earning coins from labor of my hands
then I would run free in the fields and play.

I would float on the river in my boat
and watch sunlight flicker on dancing waves
while holding pole to catch fish for my meals
and pluck apples from branches overhead.

I prefer to sacrifice my free time
to earn coins with the labor of my hands
to pay for the house and fresh food to eat
to keep my family alive with my love.

Today while I carve wood for new boat hull
my sons and daughters climb lush hills to play,
dancing and singing among apple trees,
and weaving garlands of flowers for crowns.

When I was young child my father worked hard
each day, carving wood to build river boats,
while I played laughing among apple trees,
but now I work so my children can play.

That is why, first son of my seed, today
you must stop playing among the apple trees
and begin learning to build river boats
for soon you too will marry and sire children.

The cycle of life when we play, then work,
continues with the spinning of the world,
so grasp this tool firm with your tender hands
and shape this wood into a plank for the hull.

Though we work all day, sunrise to sunset,
carving wood to build river boats that glide
swift on the ever-flowing stream of life,
after work we drink wine and tell weird tales.

Sit with us now inside the ring of stones
to eat roast lamb and drink sweet sparkling wine,
and listen to the bard with his tall staff
sing of kings and queens who reigned long ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment