Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Words Of Ocean Waves

Words Of Ocean Waves
© Surazeus
2024 07 02

After Winter kills everything I love, 
Spring sparks new bodies aching into life, 
but I find no revelation of truth 
that would support fragility of faith 
in feelings I reprocess every day 
till that unforeseen hour I fade away. 

Small tears in cover of the antique book 
bind cares of sorrow for unreturned tears 
that smudge faint words of the long-unread poems 
some nameless Sappho wrote decades ago 
which add salt to eggs in the frying pan 
I eat alone beside your empty chair. 

Washed up on shore of the Promised Land, 
I enter old temple where Juno waits 
for me to review paintings of my life 
because she wants to taste my bitter tears 
from tragic flaws that taint the mortal mind 
for those who try to gamble with the fates. 

If I should weep for tragic way of life, 
when innocent children of terrorists 
are killed by bullets of the holy king, 
I might remember with wry grin of truth 
that both Aeneas and Dido, with hope 
for security, founded empire states. 

With pretentious ambition to restore 
our shiny image of America, 
I try to scrub foul dirt of slavery 
and genocide from mural on stone wall 
of the small-town post office that depicts 
Columbus invading paradise lost. 

Into the Smoky Mountains of the mind 
I drive my wife and children in sleek car 
to find the ancient grove where Muses hide, 
while lonely people mine words from despair, 
because I want to give them dream-ripe fruits 
that swell from visions flowing from my eyes. 

My songs unbound from words of ocean waves 
return to me as rain of memories 
that nourish flowers of heavenly fields 
where soldiers die defending paradise, 
so I place their skulls in museum hall 
where Hamlet and Orpheus prophesy. 

Because the game of truth changes each day 
that people live and die in swirl of hope 
I reprogram virtual world view of Earth 
with universal rules that guide our play 
as we compete for who will eat and breed 
since we are chemicals glowing with life. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus paints mural of American history on wall of the small-town post office built.

    ReplyDelete