Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Brass Lamp Of Curiosity

Brass Lamp Of Curiosity
© Surazeus
2024 07 09

The ghost of my ancestor still remains 
on old stone London Bridge in swirling fog, 
holding brass lamp of curiosity 
that Diogenes gave him when he died, 
so all the ships of state know where to steer 
to evade Titanic iceberg of fate. 

When the train steams past the lone mountain town 
faster than ninety thousand miles an hour 
inertia throws my spirit at the sky 
where I boast to Icarus I can fly 
till I become the tender meadow flower 
destined to wear the world emperor crown. 

If the Adjustment Bureau cannot solve 
the complicated problem of my case, 
I may have to climb to sacred muse grove 
high on Black Mountain where sweet fairies dance 
to heart-enchanting music of the flute 
that Brigit carved from ancient dragon bone. 

I want to avoid with quaint fairy tale 
harsh problems that beset our world today 
because I know how I would solve them all 
with social programs fair for everyone 
that would ensure justice and liberty 
for those who will to create, not destroy. 

The gargoyle who lives on the hotel roof 
tries to teach me weird secret of the sun, 
so I want to employ power I learn 
to stop nations committing genocide, 
but the rosefinch singing in the peach tree 
distracts my heart with visions of world peace. 

On the White House lawn I confront the king 
who murdered our Goddess of Liberty, 
but when he swears his innocence to God 
I call on Jupiter with anguished cry 
who kills that tyrant with a lightning strike 
so everyone gets frightened of my eyes. 

This sacred hill on which I choose to die 
becomes the only place in all the world 
where people who admire my will to power 
build hero temple with the human bones 
from every war and epidemic plague 
to preserve the false legends of my life. 

After chipping arrowheads all day long, 
we gather at dusk to eat roasted deer, 
drink wine that Bacchus sells us by the jar, 
then dance with wild abandon in moonlight, 
lead by bear shaman with oak wisdom wand 
till we wake at the start of world war three. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus performs role as bear shaman dancing for the tribe of ape-men learning to make arrowheads to conquer the world.

    ReplyDelete