Tuesday, September 19, 2023

Mask Of The Castaway

Mask Of The Castaway
© Surazeus
2023 09 19

When I fail in my quest to detect beauty 
I send myself to the sea to find pearls, 
but like some mad-eyed prophet in fierce wind, 
or manic bard twanging strings till they break, 
I tear away mask of the castaway 
so it becomes my frail boat on wild waves. 

Austere waves of freezing fortitude hurl 
my fragile boat against the silver sky 
with haughty arrogance of laughing fate 
till I forget conception of my name 
still concealed by mask of the castaway 
I carved with bleeding hands from Tree of Life. 

That stark face of my father on hard trunk 
that glares at me with disapproving eyes 
revolves in twisting curve of melting clock 
entangling memories of my younger self 
with taut nerves in mask of the castaway 
which blinds the sun to pulsing of my heart. 

When old bearded man planting seeds in soil 
refuses to relate path of his life 
so I can avoid tragedy of faith 
that cripples him with arrogant disdain, 
I shield hope with mask of the castaway 
that hides my soul with bitter tears of love. 

Sad wind that weeps in empty cabin room, 
that serves as tomb for the abandoned wife, 
records her wordless sorrow in dry grass 
to crack rock of salvation with contempt, 
which caresses mask of the castaway, 
transforming me into wise-cracking jester. 

Awake with flash of weird epiphany 
on jagged mountain where red flowers bloom, 
I hold skull of my father in chapped hands 
and wonder if Hamlet will laugh again 
because I wear mask of the castaway 
that once kissed my cheek with adoring lips. 

Each time I am born in body of flesh, 
which my mother makes from soul of my father, 
I evade awful fate of Oedipus 
by drinking from spring of the winged horse 
to study weird mask of the castaway 
till I understand nature of desire. 

Cheeks glowing peach with passionate respect, 
Kwan Yin smiles sweetly at my faceless soul, 
so I express courageous vow of love 
to stay attentive to her needs and hopes, 
free at last from mask of the castaway 
that she paints with calligraphy of truth. 


No comments:

Post a Comment