Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Safe Home I Build

Safe Home I Build
© Surazeus
2024 06 11

When Hector, fleet-footed hero of Troy, 
had the choice to hide behind high stone walls 
to protect his family and tribe from harm, 
he chose instead to fight bully of Greece 
and die with personal glory of pride, 
earning fame of triumph at hour of death. 

When Aeneas wore his armor and helmet, 
grasping sharp sword to fight invading horde, 
he chose instead to save his family 
by guiding them away from burning towers 
to sail across the Neptune-storming sea 
and build new home on lush Tiberian hills. 

When Turnus, bold-hearted hero of Latium, 
found out Lavinia, his childhood sweetheart, 
was promised as bride to the pirate thief, 
he chose to fight the invaders from Troy 
and die with personal glory of pride, 
earning fame of triumph at hour of death. 

Though Adam fled stone walls of Paradise 
when Eloh drove him out with flaming sword, 
instigated by Lilith, his new queen, 
he chose to explore the lush river shore 
and build new garden in the wilderness 
far outside empire where his father ruled. 

I feel ambitious spirit in my heart, 
programmed in my genes by victorious quests 
of my ancestors to crown themselves kings, 
urge me to campaign with justice for truth 
in bid to control functions of the state, 
yet I choose to stay home and draw world map. 

Instead of organizing noble gangs 
of brave warriors to oppose tyranny 
by killing bullies, enslavers, and thieves, 
to crown myself arbiter of good laws 
that manage empire of commercial peace, 
I choose to chronicle events of fate. 

Aeneas chose to build empire of law 
that maintains organized society 
where public citizens who create goods 
earn right to share communal wealth of love 
for glory of the nation they protect 
instead of personal glory at death. 

Alone on highway under silver clouds 
deep in the rocky Rainbow Mountain range, 
I travel east to find lost Roman home 
on the same road my fathers traveled west, 
because there is no Promised Land on Earth 
other than safe home I build for my family. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus in the college classroom lectures about the different heroic values in Greek epic versus Roman epic.

    ReplyDelete