Thursday, June 13, 2024

New Temple Of Pegasus

New Temple Of Pegasus
© Surazeus
2024 06 13

When words collapse in shadows of my thoughts 
I search for Sibylla in golden cage 
who asks me to help save Jerusalem 
by building new Temple of Pegasus, 
but as we ride across the Rainbow Bridge 
her crystal tower crumbles into sand. 

As secret grandson of Remus the Shy, 
I am the werewolf everybody loves, 
so I sit with Juturna by her well 
and sing clever tales in Saturnian verse 
while women stand in line with water jars 
and gossip about the boy on the bridge. 

Silent in darkness of truth before dawn, 
I touch the stillness I can never touch 
till ghosts of all the mothers of my mothers, 
back thirty thousand years, teach me to sing 
with honest voice of the bottomless sea 
that shimmers as the blood cells in my veins. 

While people of today work at their jobs, 
plotting revolution in how they spend 
money on treasures found in ancient caves, 
I study the silver spoon in my hand 
which I received from sweet Armenian queen 
who calls my name for seven hundred years. 

In uncracked mirror shining on the wall 
I see face of Thamar gaze back at me, 
so I go swimming in the Caspian Sea 
where my ancestors lived in wagon trains 
forty thousand years of the last ice age, 
forever searching for the Promised Land. 

Adventists gather in the river park 
in Oregon in nineteen sixty-eight 
to sing hymns of worship to the Dream Ghost 
who sits on throne of light in apple grove 
and gives me quill to compose chronicle 
that details how he builds world empire state. 

Ancient empires that collapsed long ago 
still glow in hearts of their lost citizens 
who build on ruins of sweet memories 
global empire based on their fruitful faith 
when the cosmic herald maps their journey home 
to base new temple on the hill of skulls. 

The Scepter of Zambor, which I still hide 
behind the old guitar I used to play, 
vibrates with wordless energy of hope 
to defend this land where I make my home 
against invading hordes of angry men 
lead by the monarch hiding in my heart. 


1 comment:

  1. Orpheus tries to find the monarch hiding in his heart but finds Ophelia floating in the river.

    ReplyDelete