Thursday, April 11, 2024

Pythian Oracle Of Amherst

Pythian Oracle Of Amherst
© Surazeus
2024 04 11

Edible berries of the arbutus 
flame bright in scarlet sunbeams of cool dawn 
when I cut slender limbs of its smooth wood 
to carve weaving spindles smooth as my bones 
for Clotho to design fate for my soul 
as lace gown I wear in moon-haunted night. 

Old letters from the Pythian oracle, 
who writes verse in dark Massachusetts woods, 
crinkle in hot flames of the burning bush 
when false prophet tries to erase her dreams 
which rather bloom from ancient twisted trees 
in fruit that ripens from our burdened hearts. 

When I kneel before the wry oracle 
who sits in lace gown at small oaken desk, 
she offers gingerbread cookies with grin 
that flashes wisdom across rain-black clouds 
so I eat sacred body of the Earth 
as she sends white owls to the evening sky. 

Caressing my cheek with warm tenderness, 
the Pythian oracle whispers to me, 
pardon my sanity in a world insane, 
and love me if you will with all your heart 
for I would rather be loved than be called 
the Lord in Heaven or a King on Earth. 

How swiftly summer flees to misty hills 
to bear detailed report of misspent time 
and wasted hours to angel of my heart 
who answers with eternity of hope 
that I may dwell in garden of fruit trees 
singing with birds in tune with ocean tides. 

When flash of insight glitters in her eyes 
with complex vision of future events, 
the Pythian oracle at oaken desk 
transcribes weird song of evening wind to spells 
that still enchant our hearts with starlit faith 
centuries after she rides carriage with Death. 

Floating outside swift flow of history 
on angel wings that Icarus wove for her, 
the Pythian oracle of apple groves 
transcends constant current of social change 
with mind sparked bright by language of the stars 
when she holds high the Torch of Liberty. 

Descending from Parnassus after dawn 
to toggle vision of atomic light 
with mundane wisdom of the open door, 
the Pythian oracle of Amherst grins 
while strolling with me on the river shore 
to visit orphans with fresh ginger cake. 


No comments:

Post a Comment