Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Witch Of Hunsbury Hill

Witch Of Hunsbury Hill
© Surazeus
2018 03 27

The cold indifferent rain follows me home
where I play bones with shadow of my fear
that lurks beyond the wall of paradise.
I sit on the stone wall of the hill fort
and watch for moonlight with harp fangs of death
that stalks the beautiful girl without eyes.

I hide in the oak tree till the rain stops,
chatting with white ravens who explain why
the moonlight fills my aching heart with hope.
The rainbow slashing sorrow from my heart
reveals the face I lost in gleaming pool
contained by sticks that rune my secret name.

When he stabs the carpenter through his heart
and roasts him on flames after pouring rain,
I close my eyes and become flashing stars.
No one can see me hidden behind leaves,
so I dip black feather of the moon raven
in blood to write runes I invent on skin.

I wind hundreds of feathers in my hair,
and smear red mud across my chest and face
to recite our old independence spell.
The indifferent rain washes me clean
of deceptions so I rise from white mud
and tremble in the flashing light of dawn.

The hill-fort earl in the hall of skulls twirls
sharp stick dripping with blood of my lost friends
so I smear streaks of mud across my chest.
He races forward to stab out my heart
so I roll back and lift him with my feet
to hurl him howling in the muddy grave.

I drift half asleep, hiding by the wall,
and sing with the splatter of rain on mud
where I search for seeds of dead apple trees.
My brain empuzzles memory of that hour
when I encountered her in apple grove,
her face suffused in glowing light of love.

The phantom woman in the dark of fear
touches my face with gentle hand of truth
to fill my trembling soul with flame of hope.
The cold indifferent rain explains to me
the path I walk must wind around the hill
so I may enter gates of paradise.

I place the skulls of my family in rows
on the sturdy stone wall of paradise
then scatter apple seeds in rain-soaked mud.
I eat the apple that combines in one
the wind and the rain, congealed by the light
flashing in my eyes, so I know my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment