Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Vigilant For Predators

Vigilant For Predators
© Surazeus
2018 03 20

Whenever I walk down the city street
heat rays from the sun penetrate my skin
and weave electric energy of light
tight within the fabric of my frail being.

I move among people, tense and alert,
watching for danger of sudden attack
because all my ancestors who survived
never relaxed into dreamy contentment.

Their constant state of tense heightened awareness
that some misconstrued as paranoid fear
was realistic assessment of human nature,
expecting the worst from cruel predators.

I remain vigilant for predators,
hoping to avoid becoming their prey,
because I want to escape crushing death
and live well before I die of old age.

Sometimes the predator will be disguised
as the good person who cares about me,
but if they always take and never give
their cruel greed lies exposed to my eyes.

Though my heart fountains with generous love
if someone attacks me in word or deed
I can protect my heart from getting hurt,
defending myself without hurting them.

Though people try to hurt me with their greed
I am reluctant to hurt them in turn,
deflecting their attack with graceful wit,
and hurting them only if they persist.

I savor give and take of generous love,
exchanging pleasure in fulfilling trust,
so I avoid people who try to hurt,
and seek the company of those who heal.


No comments:

Post a Comment